Post-doctoral Fellowship for Climate Change Research
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This position is for a limited term of up to three years, renewable each year. The role is typically focused on performing publishable work as part of a strategic research program under the guidance of a program manager or other senior research staff member(s).
With climate change being the grand challenge of the next decades, the ability to provide actionable climate risk analytics and climate change-aware loss prevention solutions to businesses could become a new differentiator. We quantify the impact of climate change on the following key perils: extreme precipitation, drought, wildfire, sea level rise, riverine and coastal flooding, tropical cyclone winds, and severe weather including straight-line winds, tornadoes, and hail. We use models developed or being developed for natural hazards to produce hazard maps accounting for climate change, and to help evaluate the reliability and climate change readiness of loss prevention recommendations. We analyze climate risks systematically and provide our clients with credible, science-based views on climate change with clear, factual, and actionable takeaways.
- PhD degree in atmospheric, climate, or environmental science (or related quantitative field)
- Broad physical and process understanding of the fundamentals of climate change including uncertainties
- Solid research record (including publications) and demonstrated expertise on climate change impacts on natural hazards for at least two (preferably more) of the following key perils: extreme precipitation, drought, wildfire, riverine/coastal flooding, sea level rise, tropical cyclones, and severe weather
- Demonstrated experience using or developing global and/or regional climate models, analyzing output from global climate model ensembles, and combining large atmospheric datasets in various formats
- Experience and good working knowledge using observations for model calibration and statistical downscaling techniques
- Experience writing shell scripts for process automation, and excellent programming skills in at least two programming languages including Matlab, R, Python, and Fortran
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, presentation skills, and demonstrated effectiveness communicating highly technical and scientific insights to non-technical audiences
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.