Consultant Engineer Summer Intern
FM Global’ s internship and co-op program will be virtual until employees are authorized to return to the office. In 2020, we have learned a tremendous number of resources to help our interns and co-ops be successful working virtually. We will continue to offer professional development events for all interns and co-ops globally.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.Kevin — Group Manager Account Engineering — Employee Since 2008
Overview - External
FM Global is one of the world's largest commercial and industrial property insurance and risk management organizations specializing in property protection. More than one out of every three Fortune 1000 companies, as well as leading international corporations, benefit from FM Global's superior financial strength, policy coverage, risk management skills and extensive expertise in loss prevention engineering and research. Ranked 447 on the FORTUNE 500 list of America’s largest companies, FM Global employs more than 5,400 employees worldwide, including 1,900 loss prevention engineers.
Imagine a career in which you are having one-of-a-kind work experiences helping clients identify and understand what could go wrong. Our Consultant Engineers evaluate risk and reward, calculate potential disaster, and anticipate ways to protect against nature’s greatest forces. Built on trust, communication, and technology, we will give you the training to work with a large variety of clients to protect their business operations from fire, natural disasters, mechanical breakdown and other types of property risk.
If you enjoy variety, put your time management and organization skills to use partaking in field visits, office work, and projects.
Through special projects, job shadowing, and real work, both in the office and out in the field, you can enhance your skills and build knowledge. At FM Global, you'll deepen your practical engineering knowledge and pave your road to success by taking an immersive journey into our business.
Explore our unique business model and key differentiators through training, research, and first-hand experience. Shadow employees in a range of departments, attend meetings, and experience being a part of the FM Global team. Gain exposure to our training program for consultant engineers, access on-demand learning sessions across a range of topics. Learn how to apply our loss prevention standards for FM Global clients. Join our engineers in the field and live a "day in the life" of a consultant engineer. Assist with special projects and see how engineering data is used throughout the company.
During the internship, you will be given assignments of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. The intern would be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Participating in FM Global training to learn the fundamentals of building construction, occupancy, protection, and exposures (COPE) as it relates to risk assessment and risk mitigation.
- Learning the fundamentals of fire protection systems.
- Trailing FM Global Field Engineers during their visits to commercial properties of varying complexity and learn how to perform “hands‐on” site assessments of the physical property, including roofs.
- Reviewing mechanical and electrical equipment operation, installation, maintenance, and loss potential hazards.
- Communicating basic recommendations and/or engineering solutions to ensure client understanding and agreement for risk improvement.
- Documenting risk analysis of locations visited.
- Leading and delivering a technical project to be determined by FM Global Supervisors.
- Shadowing professionals in various departments within FM Global to gain a holistic understanding of the company and engineering team.
- Visiting other FM Global locations (such as the Corporate offices and research campus).
- Participating in professional development events with other interns.
Successful Consultant Engineer Interns have the following qualifications:
- Plan to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in engineering (civil, chemical, mechanical, electrical, etc.) or fire protection;
- Ability to work F/T during summer internship;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills;
- Efficient time management skills;
- Naturally inquisitive with the ability to undertake and deliver projects with minimal supervision;
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles;
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle throughout internship;
- Ability to commute to Boston Operation (Norwood, MA) throughout internship;
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and work at elevated heights;
- Proficient in MS Office products.
You will be expected to work independently.