Consultant EngineerEngineering Job ID 2024-14206 Primary Location: Alpharetta, Georgia 02/07/2024 Hiring Range: $71,200 - $102,200
FM Global is one of the world’s largest risk management and industrial property insurance organizations. With 76 office locations in over 60 countries worldwide, FM Global provides specialized property protection to over one-third of the FORTUNE 1000 companies, as well as leading international corporations.
A new Consultant Engineer will learn risk engineering and consulting skills from experienced mentors and a community-based work culture for the first 12-18 months, including a combination of field, self-study, classroom, and mock factory training. Our 1,900 loss prevention engineers, with backgrounds in all types of engineering and fire protection, provide clients with the benefit world class, research-based consulting, which compliments FM Global’s superior financial strength and policy coverage as a highly regarded specialty insurer of large and challenging risks.
When you join FM Global, you can leverage your engineering background and problem-solving skills to help clients identify and neutralize potential risk to their facilities and business from fire, explosion, equipment breakdown, flood, wind, and many other perils. As a Consultant Engineer, you have the power to influence outcomes and truly help your clients protect the future of their businesses.
What makes FM Global unique is our culture of camaraderie with colleagues and clients, the variety of our client base, our nearly 200-year history, our mutual client- centric structure, the challenging work, and the excitement of being part of a highly successful organization. We believe in a supportive work/life environment, value our employees greatly and offer a strong total rewards benefit program, including a pension program.
Initially, assignments will be of limited complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger, more complex properties by visiting client facilities and performing evaluations that accurately quantify foreseeable physical and human element exposures while working with client’s management team. Responsibilities include:
- Perform hands-on site assessments of the physical property by touring the facility interior, roofs and exterior.
- Evaluate site water supplies and fire protection, dust hazards, electrical systems, chemical storage and processing, structural designs, construction materials and site maintenance and emergency response programs.
- Ensure FM Global Engineering Standards are followed and, as necessary, communicate the appropriate recommendations and/or engineering solutions to clients.
- Support and assist clients as they implement solutions to mitigate the identified risks.
- Working from a home office and travel to clients' facilities daily (overnight travel is expected 3-5 nights per month, or around 15-25%).
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering (various specialties considered)
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and heights
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Authorization to work in the country you are applying to work in
- Can effectively work independently and willing to operate from a home office when not in the field.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center