Consultant Engineer B&M
Creve Coeur, Missouri
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Do you know how a power plant operates or why a transformer has a malfunction? Can you explain high cycle fatigue, flow-accelerated corrosion? Have you ever seen a turbo generator break down, a lube oil fire or witness a steam turbine fail? Would you like to?
At FM Global, you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future – yours and your clients. When you join our team as a Boiler & Machinery Consultant Engineer, you can leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disasters—saving property and businesses.
With the company’s nearly two centuries of knowledge and experience behind you, you’ll work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets.
Boiler & Machinery Consultant Engineers will interact with high hazard FM Global clients within the Power Generation, Forest Products-Pulp & Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Semiconductor, Mining, Chemical and similar industries. Experienced engineers will use their expertise to consult with clients to protect their facilities against mechanical and electrical breakdowns, fire and many other hazards. As a Boiler and Machinery Consultant Engineer, you will develop strong client relationships to advise on risks associated with client businesses as well as develop and implement risk improvement strategies.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Evaluate the integrity and reliability of equipment, identify hazards and deficiencies to deliver focused risk improvement solutions and reduce equipment risk
- Utilize Operating standards, data sheets and guides to provide risk guidance and implement best practices
- Prepare engineering reports, loss expectancies to support risk improvement
- Collaborate with Operations Engineering, Client Services, Account Management and Underwriting on Boiler & Machinery recommendations
- Engineers will work from a home office, must be able to manage their time and work independently with minimal supervision
- This is a field-based role and will require travel to large, complex industrial client sites to evaluate the operations and systems of the site and identify risks and hazards.
Our St. Louis office has a specific need for candidates with proven experience in Chemical or PowerGeneration Engineering fields
This is field based and ideally will be in the Minneappolis, MN.
- *Job title and grade may vary based on experience level
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience with a concentration in either electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering, with emphasis in Power Generation or Chemical highly preferred.
- Will consider one to five years’ experience in a high hazard industry such as power generation, chemical, nuclear, mining, pulp & paper, manufacturing or maritime combined with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Must possess knowledge of electrical and/ or mechanical power generation and associated equipment and systems such as rotating equipment, boilers, generators, system interrelationships and knowledge of safety devices. Industrial Control Systems experience highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience to understand basic machinery and equipment along with hands on exposure
- Candidates will possess strong verbal and written communication skills, proficiency in MS Office products is required
- Candidates must be analytical, organized and have good problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A valid driver’s license is required, a company car is provided
- Ability to travel – (Approx. 50-60 overnights a year; up to 75 overnights the first year due to training)
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds or 11.34 Kilograms
- Able to climb ladders
The hiring range for this position is $68,000 to $98,000. The final salary offer will vary based on individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with FM Global in the U.S. and a condition of FM Global office entry in Canada. Further, all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing onsite for open positions, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination.