Creve Coeur, Missouri
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is one of the world’s largest risk management and industrial property insurance organizations. With 76 office locations in over 60 countries worldwide, FM Global provides specialized property protection to over one-third of the FORTUNE 1000 companies, as well as leading international corporations.
A new Consultant Engineer will learn risk engineering and consulting skills from experienced mentors and a community-based work culture for the first 12-18 months, including a combination of field, self-study, classroom and mock factory training. Our 1,900 loss prevention engineers, with backgrounds in all types of engineering and fire protection, provide clients with the benefit world class, research-based consulting, which compliments FM Global’s superior financial strength and policy coverage as a highly regarded specialty insurer of large and challenging risks.
When you join FM Global, you can leverage your engineering background and problem solving skills to help clients identify and neutralize potential risk to their facilities and business from fire, explosion, equipment breakdown, flood, wind and many other perils. As a Consultant Engineer, you have the power to influence outcomes and truly help your clients protect the futures of their businesses.
What makes FM Global unique is our culture of camaraderie with colleagues and clients, the variety of our client base, our nearly 200 year history, our mutual client- centric structure, the challenging work and the excitement of being part of a highly successful organization. We believe in a supportive work/life environment, value our employees greatly and offer a strong total rewards benefit program, including a pension program.
You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger, more complex properties by visiting client facilities and performing evaluations that accurately quantify foreseeable physical and human element exposures while working with client’s management team. Responsibilities include:
- Perform hands-on site assessments of the physical property by touring the facility interior, roofs and exterior.
- Evaluate site water supplies and fire protection, dust hazards, electrical systems, chemical storage and processing, structural designs, construction materials and site maintenance and emergency response programs.
- Ensure FM Global Engineering Standards are followed and, as necessary, communicate the appropriate recommendations and/or engineering solutions to clients
- Support and assist clients as they implement solutions to mitigate the identified risks
- Working from a home office and travel to clients' facilities daily (overnight travel is expected 3-5 nights per month, or around 15-25%)
Successful Consultant Engineer candidates have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering (various specialties considered)
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and heights
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Authorization to work in the country you are applying to work in
- Can effectively work independently and willing to operate from a home office when not in the field.
The hiring range for this position is $68,000 to $98,000. The final salary offer will vary based on individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with FM Global in the U.S. and a condition of FM Global office entry in Canada. Further, all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing onsite for open positions, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination.