AFM InternUniversity Recruiting - Opportunities for Students and Recent Graduates - Internship/Coop - Other, University, Other Careers Job ID 2022-11637 Frisco, Texas 05/05/2022
Overview - External
AFM specializes in commercial property insurance for the middle market. The depth and breadth of our expertise and superior underwriting is second to none. We are skilled in anticipating the unique needs of this market. We constantly explore new ways to expand and tailor coverage to meet our brokers' and clients' ever-evolving business needs. This refined focus has allowed AFM to become an international presence in middle market property insurance spanning five continents.
This position is accountable for applying classroom knowledge, gain practical employment experience, and explore areas of interest for future job opportunities post-graduation. This role will be a learning experience but will also aid the local AFM Office and one or more Production Underwriters and Account Engineers.
This is accomplished through the performance of underwriting and account/broker servicing activities. This involves working closely with Production Underwriters, Account Engineers, and Management.
An Intern is a team player working with Production Underwriters, Account Engineers, Account Administrators, Claims and other personnel that has demonstrated quick ability to learn and apply concepts as well as shows initiative in all areas of accountability.
As an intern, you will be responsible for the following:
- Work closely with the Assistant Area Manager on training, complete a series of online classes and go over each section with Manager/Mentor.
- Trail Account Engineers on 2 prospect visits per month and document topics learned from visit to mentor and management.
- Learn the basics of occupancy and Exposure Driven Engineering and basic risk assessment skills.
- Document to Production Underwriters initial feedback on results of the visit
- Production Underwriter will work with the intern to determine how this will impact the ability to move forward on the prospect
Assist in business decision making process and determining ROI
- Trail Production Underwriter on 2 broker calls per month and document work
- Assist the Production Underwriter in pre-call work for broker calls, including preparing any marketing materials or handouts. They will take notes during the call itself to fore the post call notes.
- Gain Experience in a professional environment and learn basic networking and sales skills
- Learn the importance of planning and preparing for meetings including prepping marketing materials tailored for the call
- Assist the Production Underwriter in documenting the pre- and post-work in internal systems
- Assist Management and Production Underwriters in preparing for and facilitating marketing events which include Broker Appreciation Events and Policy Workshops
- Assist in planning and facilitating the marketing events in addition to attending them
- Gain exposure marketing on a larger scale on a one-on-one basis
- Review specifications and set up limits/deductibles for Production Underwriter’s prospects.
- Apply knowledge of the property form from online Learning to selecting coverages and deductibles.
- Advise the Production Underwriter of any coverages that deviate from our form and require special review. Additionally, they will highlight areas where we exceed the competition.
- Complete a project that will take some part of the duration or the entire summer that will assist the office. Provide bi-monthly updates to management. This may include Interview the different departments within the office, FM Ops and Claims included.
- Put together a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation to the AFM Staff at the end of training to summarize the internship experience during a Staff Meeting.
Successful Intern candidates have the following qualifications:
High School diploma or equivalent.
Currently working toward a College Degree with a Business Major or Minor.
Strong verbal and written communications skills
Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
Valid driver’s license
Computer experience including basic working knowledge of Windows software applications such as MS Word, Excel, and Access.
Keyboard and data entry skills with typing speed and accuracy
Mathematical aptitude with the ability to resolve numerical miscalculations
Sound organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
Career oriented with a focus on quality performance and customer service, a professional demeanor and positive attitude
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center