Consultant Engineer II - Chemical Engineering
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is currently seeking a consultant engineer with technical industry experience, preferably within the chemical industry, to conduct risk assessments and consult with clients to help neutralize potential disasters – saving property and businesses. At FM Global, you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future – yours and your clients.
FM Global is a market leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions.FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research, risk management advising, risk transfer capabilities, and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
With the company’s nearly two centuries of knowledge and experience behind you, you will work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets. At FM Global you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future of your clients.
Initially, assignments will be of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn FM Global’s loss prevention expertise with the support of experienced mentors and a structured engineering training program. You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger complex industrial sites. Learning and developing continues throughout your career, with promotion and growth opportunities, in a variety of technical career paths.
This position is based in Louisiana or the Houston area (working remotely from a home office) and reporting to the FM Global Dallas office.
- Identify property hazards (fire, explosion, and natural catastrophe hazards) at client facilities and deliver practical solutions to minimize or eliminate the risk.
- Communicate key risks and priorities to support clients in making sound risk management decisions based on what matters most to their business.
- Apply consistent risk assessment and risk mitigation guidance, based on use of FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets and company operating procedures, with an attention to technical detail.
- Prepare technical engineering reports, with sound engineering-based judgements, decisions, and technical writing to document conclusions.
- Collaborate with various departments such as Operations Engineering, Client Services, Account Management and Underwriting on risk assessment and risk mitigation strategies.
- Develop long-lasting relationships with clients and act as a trusted advisor and consultant within your field.
- Work from a home office, while managing time, meeting report delivery timelines, and working independently with minimal supervision.
- Expected overnight travel once fully trained is 30% (up to 50-70 nights per year). Typical travel responsibilities will be concentrated in a 2 to 3-hour radius around your home office; however overnight travel may include all Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience (chemical industry preferred)
- Experience with process hazard analysis (PHA), Process Safety Management (PSM), Management of Change (MOC), manual and automatic process safety interlocks, and automatic fire protection systems is a plus.
- Hands-on understanding of various chemical and mechanical production processes and support systems, with basic understanding of topics relating to design, operation, maintenance, process safety, and protection for complex process equipment such as reactors, distillation columns, dryers, RTOs, and dust collection systems at large complex chemical plants.
- Resident or willing to relocate to Houston or southern Louisiana
- An eagerness to learn across a broad range of industries and types of hazards.
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Independent and focused within a home office environment, with strong planning and time management skills with minimal supervision.
- Results driven and self-motivated are a must
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principle
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Physically able to lift 25 pounds, able to climb ladders, and experience heights.
- Authorization to work in the US
- Valid driver’s license
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
The salary range for this position is $76,200 to $128,600. However, the final salary offer and title will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.