Assistant Payroll Manager
Johnston, Rhode Island
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
The Assistant Payroll Manager role will provide oversight to the payroll team as well as managing the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico payrolls while ensuring all tasks, reviews and required authorizations have been received and completed. Other areas of responsibilities include system integrations, pay slips, banking, taxes, time and attendance, reconciliations, general ledger, general deductions, system setup, testing and user acceptance testing.
The ideal candidate will have 7+ years of relevant multi-state and multi-country payroll experience (North America), payroll processing and system design and set up. Ideally, proficiency in processing in-house, full spectrum payroll for a multinational corporate business environment is preferred. Experience in cloud-based payroll processing systems is highly desirable.
1. Payroll Processing: Oversees the payroll team and provides support with the execution of payroll in accordance with defined processes. Supports the year end and year begin close/open. Provides support to the manager of payroll as appropriate. Ensures the timely processing of federal, state and local tax filings, payments, corrections, tax notices or tax demands to prevent inappropriate penalties and interest assessments.
2. Projects, Upgrades and System Changes: In partnership with the manager, serves as the functional lead on most payroll related projects. Works to facilitate interdependencies with other HR teams such as benefits, compensation, finance, internal audit etc. in order to ensure a complete assessment of the impact to payroll, employees and related outcomes. Raises issues, roadblocks, and concerns to the manager or VP as appropriate in a timely manner. Identifies project risks and recommends remediation plans as appropriate.
3. Meetings, Planning & Alignment: Coordinates year end activities for the payroll team by creating and maintaining a project plan. Identifies in a timely manner key issues, barriers etc. and intensifies appropriately. Schedules and facilitates weekly year end/year begin meetings to ensure coordinated and timely approach to year end/begin processing. Identifies and calls out any roadblocks or risks to meeting regulatory timelines. Monitors Payroll Requests e-mail box and ensures inquiries are addressed promptly and accurately.
4. Controls, Processes, Policies and Procedures: Maintains system and key controls, processes, and calendars, in keeping with audit or manager recommendations. Creates, maintains and educates team on key controls, tools, checklists, policies, and supporting process documentation in a paperless environment for utilization by the team, employees, and others as appropriate. Informs key partners of any impact in a timely manner. Ensures data integrity of all information both within the payroll system(s) and within the recordkeeping of payroll related documentation.
5.Audit and Risk Mitigation: Audits and reviews payroll input and output for fraud and risk considerations and calls out findings as appropriate. Partners with internal and external auditor to find opportunities to improve audit controls to reduce and mitigate risk. Responds to audit inquiries in a timely manager and before the required due dates. Ensures all audit responses are reviewed by the manager prior to submission.
6. Reporting, Process Improvement and Reconciliation: Prepares appropriate reports and reconciliations as requested to support business needs. Reconciles general ledger accounts in a back-up capacity to the manager. Makes appropriate recommendations for improvements and efficiencies in all aspects of the payroll cycle.
7. Team Management: Trains and develops team member to ensure current and relevant subject matter expertise in role. Identifies gaps in training and implements risk mitigation to resolve gaps. Ensures cross training and cross coverage. Makes recommendations to manager regarding promotions and job changes. Assess performance and recommends salary changes. Supports manager in hiring and termination decisions. Collaborates with HR peers to support training, development and performance improvement of team members. Ensures all elements of payroll cycle are covered during vacations, holiday etc. Plans and notifies team well in advance of these events to ensure flawless continuation of the payroll cycle.
- A combination of applicable education and payroll experience will be considered.
- Certified Payroll Professional designation preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in automated multi state, and multi country (North America) payroll processing and system design and set up. (will consider candidates with less experience if at least 5 years in a supervisory role)
- Prior managerial/supervisory experience required
- Experience processing in-house, full spectrum payroll for large organization (3000+ employees)
- Experience in cloud-based payroll processing systems a plus
- Communicate payroll theories, policies and practices in understandable terms to employees and other key stakeholders.
- Partner as a trusted advisor on key initiatives and projects
- Maximize technological resources to enhance service delivery.
- Lead and manage change.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills, including conducting complex root cause analyses as needed.
- Plans in aligns effectively ensuring the inclusion of key stakeholders while prioritizing and focusing on achieving results and supporting business objectives
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of applicable local, state and federal regulations
- Financial and business acumen