Johnston, Rhode Island
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
CAD Intern - Summer 2020
Location: Johnston, RI.
As an EPS CAD Intern you will create and revise preliminary FM Global insurance plans using customized CAD software. Working with satellite imagery, aerial photography, and other technical data, you’ll create simple sketches of insured locations for our field engineers to utilize in their reporting of client’s locations. You’ll be training and working with experienced CAD Operators and other FM Global professionals on the newest hardware and software available. Opportunities for other drafting tasks may be presented.
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
- Locating client sites using geospatial mapping platforms that utilize satellite images, aerial photography, and GIS data.
- Creating georeferenced drawings of client sites from available images; showing buildings, roads, structures, rivers, and more.
- Generating flood maps of client sites to assist in the identification of insured’s flood hazards.
- Producing PDFs and submitting the completed files using business processes and systems.
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program for CAD Drafting, Architecture or Engineering
- Minimum of 1 Semester of CAD drafting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, operational knowledge of standard tools such as PC’s, scanners, plotters, printers and e-mail. Technical systems proficiency encompassing CAD, imaging, and document management. Ability to work independently and collaborate with others. Experience in Bentley products such as Microstation and OpenBuildings Designer a plus.
Please note, this is a paid internship.