Johnston, Rhode Island
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Data Architect owns the design and architecture of enterprise analytics and data solutions. They specialize in being able to understand business needs, data concepts, and data modeling and translate them into physical data models and solution architectures.
The role operates at the intersection of data science and data management. The role provides the expertise, leadership, direction, and planning for assigned projects with a focus on the design and implementation of data solutions including enhancements to an enterprise data warehouse, and enterprise semantic layer.
The ability to produce and run various work streams with matrixed teams is critical. The incumbent will bridge the needs of advanced analytics model development and implement these in a production solution.
Works independently, guides and mentors others. Is the resident subject matter specialist on architectural data considerations. The incumbent's ability to define a vision and influence the strategic direction of how data will be organized, assembled, and handled for Advanced Analytics, Business Intelligence, Operational reporting, and as a source to Product teams is a critical component to FM Global's vision to be a data driven organization.
Architecture for Data Analytics
- Provides guidance and expertise in mapping information architecture to physical solutions and is the overall owner of the architectural structure of our data warehouse and enterprise analytics.
- Understands relevant industry technology trends and advancements in technology and creates the strategy to implement those advancements.
- Develops recommendations, design patterns, and implementation plans to evolve the existing Data Analytics architecture to improve quality, reusability, and maintainability.
- Lead the Data Analytics data teams to define the roles of the data tiers and influence design choices that impact the tiers.
- Be the main interface between subject matter experts representing transactional systems to understand and plan for upstream data changes.
- Is the authority on data and source system concepts, and designs the data solutions used by Advanced Analytics for model development, Business Intelligence, and Operational reporting.
- Influences and leads the developers and solution architects representing transactional systems to better support enterprise data & analytic needs, and provides mentorship in these areas to continually raise data literacy in the organization.
- Collaborates with Data Governance team to set the vision for enterprise data issues that impact analytic and business intelligence solutions.
Supporting Data Analytics Initiatives
- Supervises the interaction between business partners, business analysts, and developers to ensure that information requirements are clearly defined, documented, and communicated.
- Provides leadership and guidance for the creation of information architecture documents and the mapping to requirements documents.
- Leads the engagement with enterprise data modelers on logical modeling exercises, while providing oversight for physical modeling in collaboration with data developers. Primary contributor on solution design for large and/or complex analytical and BI products.
- Understands data security requirements and how they are implemented and influences others to adhere to standard methodologies; supervises the design and implementation of new security requirements.
- Acts as a coach/mentor to teammates in departmental projects. Influences business stakeholders and management to effectively resolve obstacles and project issues.
- Develops the vision and strategy for key Information Architecture projects. Determines the matrixed team resources needed for projects with minimal to no supervision.
- Handles the day-to-day execution of large and/or complex concurrent assigned projects.
- Mentors team members on project management best practices and execution.
Technology Champion and Influencer for Advanced Analytics
- Collaborating with the Advanced Analytics team to define and implement the technical requirements and principles for an efficient data science process.
- Analyzing the current data science process, defining key outcomes and designing technological solutions.
Bachelor’s degree, or similar experience, preferably in IT-related field. Master’s degree in IT-related field highly desired!
10+ years of related experience
Skills / knowledge:
- Deep experience with data warehousing concepts and related technologies.
- Implementation expertise with data lakes, unstructured data, cloud data.
- Solid understanding of Data Science concepts and the model development cycle, with an emphasis on productionalizing such models.
- Experience with MS SQL Server, Microsoft Power BI, Integration Services (SSIS), Analysis Services.
- (SSAS) and Azure.
- Proficient in at least Python, preferably R.
- Basic understanding of probability and statistics.
- Familiarity with fundamental machine learning techniques and experience with Azure ML.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills including written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to set a vision for, and lead, very large or sophisticated projects with a team.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor team mates and influence senior partners outside the work group.
- Prioritizes work based on ROI evaluations and influences prioritization for teammates and the Department.
- Effective at influencing without authority.
- Self-directed, independent analytical skills, problem solver, leadership skills, great teammate, and customer orientated.
- Focus on achieving results and resolving obstacles to deliver superior solutions for the organization.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.