Experience Design Research Co-op
Johnston, Rhode Island
FM Global’ s internship and co-op program will be virtual until employees are authorized to return to the office. In 2020, we have learned a tremendous number of resources to help our interns and co-ops be successful working virtually. We will continue to offer professional development events for all interns and co-ops globally.
What makes a successful Intern at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Problem Solving
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.Kevin — Group Manager Account Engineering — Employee Since 2008
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Our Experience Design group is a newly-formed team of 20+ highly-experienced design professionals, spanning research, strategy, service, interaction, and interface design! We are working with our internal partners to transform business across the enterprise and are well on our way to becoming a more responsive, human-centric organization.
Under the guidance of senior research staff, the Co-op Experience Design Research Assistant will:
- Support experience design research, measurement, and testing across multiple interrelated experiences.
- Support end-to-end tactical and longitudinal research, communicate research findings, and work with cross-functional teams to ensure design and development strategy is based upon fact over assumption.
- Contribute to meaningful results at each stage of the research process (e.g., research plans, interview guides, journey maps, personas, reports)
- Take notes during study sessions and assist in analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.
- Assist in maintaining, curating, and scaling a research repository (e.g., raw data, insights, templates, audio/video clips).
- Assist in client engagement and participant recruitment activities such as screening and scheduling participants for research studies.
- Be part of a team that believes their best work comes from tight-knit collaboration. You’ll work with them to influence stakeholders, build rapport, and cultivate consensus for excellence.
- Bring integrity and professionalism to every interaction and to every aspect of the work you do.
- Participate in the organization’s ongoing performance review process, which includes receiving and giving valuable, constructive feedback.
- Currently enrolled in or a BA/BS in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Science, Cognitive Science, Cultural Anthropology, Psychology, Behavioral Economics, or a related field.
- An understanding of research methods including experimental design, generating research plans, defining and tracking experience metrics over time, data analyses (qual and quant), data synthesis, and coordinating work on multiple products.
- Solid communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills. The ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences.
- Experience working collaboratively on complex and ambiguous endeavors.
- Experience iteratively testing anything from paper prototypes through in-production solutions to inform and recommend better paths to pursue.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.