Head of Solution ArchitectureInformation Services - Other, Information Technology Job ID 2022-11930 Johnston, Rhode Island 05/04/2022
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This role will follow a hybrid work model and will require the candidate to live within 100 miles to headquarters located in Johnston, RI.
The Head of Solution Architecture is responsible for setting and enforcing the strategic objectives of the Solution Architecture organization to enable successful execution of goals and priorities. This technical leadership role is the highest position in Solution Architecture serving as the Senior Chapter Lead of Solution Architecture. In this context, they set the direction for strategy and translate the future needs of the enterprise into feasibility, capability, and capacity projections. They are a passionate leader and technologist who can spot technology trends and make the right investment to grow relevant capabilities to answer the future needs of the Strategy & Business Enablement organization (Information Technology). The ideal candidate has an inspiring pragmatic approach to problem solving solutions.
The Head of Solution Architecture will oversee technical domain and software design practice by leading a staff of architects to align solutions with enterprise standards, processes, procedures, and goals. The Head of Solution Architecture will work and collaborate closely with the Enterprise Architecture organization. This is to ensure that the Solution and Application Architecture strategies are aligned with the organization’s mission.
The Head of Solution Architecture is responsible for analyzing current trends in technology architecture and advising our technical staff about new technology, patterns, and best practices. Using clear architectural models and the help of business domain experts, the incumbent directs staff to align the strategic direction across multiple enterprise-level initiatives to understand priorities and meet business goals, while maintaining control of application security, quality, and technical debt. The Head of Solution Architecture is accountable for the oversight and design of multiple domain-level architecture technology roadmaps. These roadmaps will create a bridge between Enterprise Architecture, Software Engineering, and Product Technology. Using the Head of Solution Architecture’s technical experience, their staff are responsible for maintaining the organization’s architecture design expertise and solution recommendations. The Head of Solution Architecture provides thought-leadership and will ensure current technologies are leveraged to provide maximum value. This is while also looking forward determining how integrating new technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotic process automation, IoT or blockchain could be used to the organization’s advantage.
The Head of Solution Architecture is responsible for the hiring, development, and growth of their Solution Architects. They are responsible for optimizing the alignment of solution architects to best support timely and cost-effective delivery of product initiatives, for metrics associated with talent evolution, and for all other administrative responsibilities within the Solution Architecture organization. The Head of Solution Architecture will in turn work with their Solution Architects and Software Engineering development leads to ensure design and implementation meet the appropriate solution needs. With a strategic and visual focus, the Head of Solution Architecture must articulate solutions to a wide audience ranging from non-technical to highly technical in oral and digital venues.
15+ years of strong experience in technology leadership, architecture, and development
- Experience in evaluating technologies to lay out a technical roadmap/strategy and managing technology vendor relationships
- Experience interviewing, recruiting, hiring, assessing, and retaining technical personnel
- Experience in coaching, mentoring, and developing a highly motivated technical workforce
- Experience working in fast-paced Agile environments to promote agile principles and mind-set across the organization
- Has technology vision regarding future trends and capabilities that can create competitive advantage for the organization
- Demonstrated expertise in driving both the Business and IT strategies to cohesively propel each other at organizational, national, and/or global scale
- Deep understanding and working experience in legacy system modernization and modern software architecture design and development
- Excellent solution architecture expertise in IT and Cloud Infrastructure and application modernization and migration techniques.
- Broad IT industry knowledge, deep expertise in one or more technical areas. Including: user experience, digital transformation, microservices, microapps, ESB (Enterprise Service Bus), database design, access and identity management, high availability infrastructure, Cloud, IoT, Event Driven Architecture, REST, Service Oriented Architecture, etc.
- Experience delivering through a hybrid managed services / offshore model
- Exemplary oral, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- Able to produce results within a collaborative environment
- Highly organized and fast paced.
- Able to proficient in MS Office products
4 Years Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, or a related subject area preferred!
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center