Lead Cyber Security Engineer (SOC Lead)
Johnston, Rhode Island
We connect people, processes and technologies. We enable strategy, empower business, and create value for clients, partners and employees. That's what makes Technology at FM Global so exciting. We build resilience and security into all aspects of our technology infrastructure which is the cornerstone from which all other services are provided.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
NATURE IS NOT PREDICTABLE. OUR TECHNOLOGY NEEDS TO BE.
For our 1,800 engineers helping protect our clients' businesses against potential disaster, the ability to reliably transact business from anywhere in the world is critical. That's what makes designing IT systems at FM Global so exciting. My colleagues and I build innovative mobile solutions that ensure critical loss prevention information is never more than a click away. This commitment to protecting our clients' businesses from loss through advanced technology solutions is why I choose to work at FM Global.George — Information Technology Manager — Employee Since 1995
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Overview / Responsibilities
Assists with daily security event monitoring and subsequent investigation activities! In the event that a security incident has been found, follows enterprise incident response standard processes follow proper escalation. Additionally, handling security events called out by more junior team members.
Recommends and facilitates implementation of enhanced configurations, policies, and processes. These will improve the effectiveness and efficiency of FM Global's threat prevention, detection, and response services.
Performs security assessments of business and technology initiatives. This will be to identify gaps and lead efforts to develop and implement solutions to mitigate those gaps.
Maintain familiarity with FM Global security standards and ensure processes exist to demonstrate compliance with those standards. Also, that technologies and security policies are implemented in support of those standards.
Stay abreast of changes in the threat landscape by following industry experts, publications, newsfeeds, and threat intelligence sources. Identify ways for FM Global to incorporate this information into ongoing security practices.
Maintains a high level of communication and teamwork both within security infrastructure services team and across other groups to optimally accomplish goals & objectives. Additionally, capable of working with business leaders and IS leadership to promote security awareness, understanding, and improvements as well as satisfy their concerns.
Maintains clear concise and accurate documentation for processes and configurations. Ensure documentation is kept up to date and in the proper shared, accessible location. Independently identifies areas where additional process or technology documentation is needed and ensures that it is developed. Supports the development of current and future state architecture documentation where appropriate.
Leads and coordinates advanced threat hunting activities to seek out threats in the environment which might otherwise remain undetected by existing monitoring/prevention measures.
Develops accurate estimates of time and effort required to implement upgrade or modify complex system configurations. Produces necessary work/test plans for accomplishing these efforts. Provides project leadership and direction of day-to-day project activities.
Mentors junior staff in all areas of responsibility including professionalism, communication, teamwork, problem solving, and technology design implementation maintenance and trouble resolution.
Assists principal and architect roles with strategy and innovation adoption efforts, as well as efforts to identify and recommend new technologies and/or capabilities which will enhance FM Global’s cyber security program.
Leads planning, design, and execution of major changes. Assists as escalation point with complex operational and systems engineering needs with security infrastructure technologies (such as SIEM, UEBA, Firewall, AV/EDR, DLP) used to prevent, detect, and/or respond to security incidents. These operational activities may include resolving called out complex and/or business impacting technology issues, investigating complex security events, and participating in incident response exercises.
Leads advanced cyber security incident investigations and helps to shape threat-hunting activities which may lead to incident response efforts.
Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in information technology or business analysis with at least five (5) years in an information security specific field, such as computer forensics, network perimeter security, incident response, system security, threat research, or working in or in support of a security operations center.
Demonstrated knowledge of information security subject area via relevant advanced industry certification (such as: CISSP, SSCP, CISA, CCE, Security+, GIAC, CEH, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate advanced technical subjects including controls and control effectiveness, infrastructure architectures, and risks, to a non-technical audience.
- Solid interpersonal skills.
- Ability to coordinate activities with team members and other partners.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must have a good work ethic, great time management skills and a positive demeanor.
- Ability to work independently on a team, or in a leadership role on a team.
- Ability to multi-task and change priorities with effective results.
- Strong knowledge of at least one of the following areas: operating systems, databases, systems, networks, application development.
- Ability to design and implement technical solutions for business problems while balancing functionality, sustainability, time to delivery and costs.
- Ability to develop and maintain current and future state technology architectures.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with computer vulnerabilities, hacker methodologies and other threats.
- Advanced MS Excel and reporting skills required. Experience using PowerBI strongly preferred.
- Ability to use various trusted sources of information (articles, webinars, Internet, etc.) to gain accurate knowledge of current security threats, vulnerabilities, mitigating strategies to address them. Then, recommend and implement appropriate solutions for the FM Global organization.
- Advanced understanding of at least one security, technical, or risk subject area.
- Significant experience working with vendors and resellers, managing vendor/reseller relationships, and bringing available resources to bear to solve problems or realize opportunities.
- Experience managing large complex projects, producing any necessary artifacts, and meeting critical landmarks.
4 Year College Degree/Bachelors; Information Security / Assurance, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field, or equivalent work experience or technical training with a non-related degree.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.