Lead DevOps EngineerTechnology - Other, Engineering - Other Job ID 2023-12840 Primary Location: Johnston, Rhode Island 02/10/2023
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research, risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees working in more than 100 countries in a variety of challenging roles
The DevOps Engineer collaborates with infrastructure technology specialists, software engineers, chapter leads, technology owners, and other Information Technology staff based on shared goals and agile practices. The DevOps Engineer leads or contributes to the concurrent delivery of highly effective, complex, cross-technology automation and infrastructure services that allow product and analytics teams to build highly effective capabilities that eliminate (or reduce) the bottlenecks which impede rapid product delivery.
The DevOps Engineer is hands-on and works side-by-side with team members to implement these complex infrastructure/application solutions. At the same time, they are ensuring well-developed solutions focused on quality, performance, and maintainability. The DevOps Engineer drives constant improvement through automation, subject matter experience, and knowledge sharing.
4 to 10+ years experience in application development, database, server administration, information technology, platform services, build management, release management, or another related discipline. In addition, at least 1 to 3 years focused on automation, cloud, CI/CD, or DevOps specific role. Experience in evaluating technologies and running adequate technology proof of concepts.
- Must have experience in a programming language. Examples of languages might include Python, Ruby, js, Go, Rust, C#, Java, C++, C, etc.
- Must understand different operating system concepts. Examples include Startup Management (intid), Service Management (systemd), Process Management, Network concepts, Virtualization, Memory and Storage, File systems.
- Must have experience working with Linux and Windows operating systems. Examples include Server 2022, Server 2019, Ubuntu, Debian, and RHEL.
- Must demonstrate strong knowledge of terminal Examples include:
- Text Manipulation (awk, sed grep, sort, uniq, cat, cut, and PowerShell equivalents.)
- Process Monitoring (ps, top, htop, atop isof)
- Compilation of applications from source (gcc, dotnet, make, etc...)
- Bash / PowerShell scripting
- Network (nmap, tcpdump, traceroute, dig, netstat, nc)
- Know about Networks, Security, and Protocols. Examples include HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), HTTPS, FTP, SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) / TLS (Transport Layer Security), SSH, and Port Forwarding.
- Must have general knowledge of the configuration of Reverse Proxy, Caching, Forward Proxy, Load Balancing, and L7 Firewalls.
- Must have general knowledge of Web Servers. Examples include IIS, Nginx, Apache, Tomcat, and Caddy.
- Must be able to talk about branch strategies. Examples include:
- Trunk-based Development
- Must be able to describe container promotion models/pipeline artifact
- Must be able to create containers. Examples include Docker, Docker-compose, etc.
- Must know infrastructure as code. Example areas include
- Must know a CI/CD tool. Examples include:
Gitlab CI (Continuous Integration)
- Must have a high degree of knowledge of cloud providers. Examples include:
- AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- GCP (Google Cloud Platform)
- Digital Ocean
- Must understand how to monitor software and infrastructure. Examples include:
- Must be familiar with Service Mesh. Examples include Consul, Linkerd, Envoy.
- Must be familiar with Cloud Design patterns.
- Must be familiar with GitOps and nextgen CD platforms. Examples include Flux CD (Continuous Deployment), Argo CD, Harness.
- Must have demonstrate principles of security infrastructure.
- Must have knowledge of the OWASP framework and CIS controls.
- Must understand the importance of principle of least privilege or zero trust identity.
- General knowledge of the benefits of using Agile practices, Scrum and/or Kanban.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid Interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Excellent customer service skills. Take ownership.
- Must have a strong work ethic, time management skills and a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently or on a team.
- Ability to coordinate activities with team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and change priorities with effective results.
- Ability to leverage various trusted sources of information (articles, webinars, Internet, etc.) to gain accurate knowledge of current automation and DevOps patterns and practices and then recommend and implement appropriate solutions for the FM Global organization.
- Experience working with vendors and resellers, handling vendor/reseller relationships, and bringing available resources to bear to solve problems or realize opportunities.
- Experienced in managing/leading projects and ability to produce any necessary artifacts.
Must be able to able to demonstrate expertise. Desired degrees include bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience or technical training with a non-related degree.
The hiring range for this position is $110,900 to $159,400 The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with FM Global in the U.S. and a condition of FM Global office entry in Canada. Further, all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing onsite for open positions, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center