PPM Engineering Portfolio
Johnston, Rhode Island
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Portfolio Program Manager (PPM) serves as a key collaboration point for staff function executives (SVPs) to actively facilitate the priorities aligned to the strategic initiatives of the organization and effectively manage the prioritized program initiatives (both non-technology and technology). This includes pipeline and readiness of both corporate and operations units to effectively execute on various programs and projects within the portfolio; monitoring and reporting progress of the portfolio to respective staff with specific emphasis on business objectives and value delivery, efficient resource development and allocation, effective risk and issue management, and helping to mitigate program volatility with respect to scope and quality changes and process improvements.
The PPM will be responsible for successful implementation of the portfolio programs and provide leadership to the cross-functional program team (not in supervisory capacity) assigned to the programs and projects. The role will also serve to strengthen the staff functions’ ability to effectively implement business change, ensure readiness of the business, deliver predictable and consistent outcomes expected with programs initiatives; derive the full value opportunities. The PPM will track benefits and performance of programs and projects in the pipeline against business case success metrics, along with program sponsor. The role will provide transparency of resource capacity management to balance the program impact of change to the business with priorities of the organization to help ensure successful program implementation. Works with staff and “service delivery group” to source needed program and project resources and helps define “fit for purpose” methodologies for the respective nature of the business problems being addressed by the business owner.
The PPM builds and sustains relationships with staff function and provides effective bridges within the SEO to ensure close liaison and execution of programs between corporate and operations. The role works with the leadership team to ensure strong sponsorship engagement on prioritized programs and responsibility for communicating the health and status of program initiatives.
The PPM will ensure compliance with standard processes and procedures within the SEO and “service delivery” group. Share best practices and lessons learned across portfolio/program initiatives, leverages and drives adoption of standards and best practices with bias towards continuous improvement.
·Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business or relevant core insurance areas or functional areas of the organization; MS or MBA preferred in relevant areas
Program management qualification (e.g. PMP certification) and certifications are added plus
- 10+ years of experience in portfolio and program management and/or operations and staff function leadership roles with successful track record leading cross functional teams on product and service delivery
- Broad and deep business knowledge and experience; both operation and corporate desirable
- SEO or PMO experience with strong track record developing and leading large-scale business and complex programs and projects aligned to KPI approach or value- based measures is an added plus
- Experience with driving one or more large enterprise level programs (requiring large scale change management) within or outside of FM Global and demonstrated track record of an effective change agent.
- Previous experience in strategy and/or business consulting work with highly reputable consulting organization (McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting); or Fortune 500 company internal consulting position
- Knowledge of standard documentation tools (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint) and able to learn and adapt effectively to new operational tools integrated into the SEO
- Strong communication skills (including written and oral presentation skills) with ability to communicate and adapt communication to all levels of the organization – Executives to front line employees
- Ability to multi-task and partner effectively with different types of stakeholders (Core Insurance, Support Functions and Business Enablement.)
- Strong networking and influencing skills, especially in terms of navigating FM Global organization to coordinate across a large and varied set of stakeholders
- Ability to quickly develop understanding of new operating model concepts and drive change
- Strong attention to detail – systematic and strategic thinker who can foresee long term implication and challenges in implementing change through the SEO