Principal Enterprise Architect (Information)Information Services - Other, Information Technology Job ID 2022-12233 Primary Location: Johnston, Rhode Island 09/23/2022
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Enterprise Architect (EA) is a key member of the Enterprise Architecture Organization responsible for strategic alignment of technologies with business vision to enable desired outcomes.
He or she identifies and assesses the current state of the technology, products, solutions, and processes at FM Global and provides recommendations, strategies, and roadmaps to move the company toward an optimized target state that improves business capabilities and drives innovation.
Enterprise architect’s work is very closely related to other architecture roles, namely, enterprise architects and other senior Solution and IT architects. Whereas the EA team handles a variety of functions, this EA architect is laser-focused on the strategic and transformational architecture efforts. The incumbent collaborates with other Architects to provide guidance that ensures technology products are designed to support the evolution of business objectives. The EA provides technical governance for certain overarching technical constructs. He or she fosters collaboration across the Product and Technology Enablement organizations at FM Global and develops cross-organizational relationships with business and technology partners to influence the enterprise-wide architecture.
Specifically, the Enterprise Architect
- Leads cultural change for architecture and associated technology adoption. You will actively promote common patterns and practices where appropriate within the entire organization to ensure that the organization properly architects business solutions. Enterprise architect must inspire a new culture and resist the urge to execute "business as usual." EAs must push the organization through thought leadership to incorporate associated practices and technologies correctly and effectively.
- You will develop and coordinate architecture across a variety of disparate areas within the organization. These areas include (but are not limited to) Application development, Application portfolio and life cycle management, Data management, analytics, External Solutions, Governance, Identity, and access management (IAM), Infrastructure, Integration, Security, privacy and compliance, User experience etc. This does not mean that the EA dictates or implements all such changes, but he or she must build relationships with the functional architects in each area to influence each toward the changes necessary.
- Develops Strategy and coordinates Adoption. You will be responsible for clearly articulating to the organization those scenarios wherein certain patterns and services may or may not fit. You will develop enterprise guidance that conveys best practices and common pitfalls for system design, infrastructure, integrations, application development practices and application runtime principles. Identify a comprehensive set of risks posed by various services and maintain a risk-mitigation-mapping matrix for coping with and overcoming such risks. For each service, establish governance that will allow services to be consumed in an agile fashion to meet immediate business needs yet balance against unconstrained adoption.
- Develop a methodology for ordering and provisioning repetitive services either through internal tools/processes or by leveraging external provider's tools/processes. Promote automating those tasks that can be instrumented and conducted programmatically so that human delays and mistakes do not impact the speed and agility.
Design the comprehensive set of enterprise management processes, tools, integrations, and procedures to ensure smooth operations. The effort should closely align with IT operations management offices within the organization. You will deliver reference architecture / blueprints and ensure the guidance is implemented through reviews
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related discipline; or equivalent work experience and training. Advanced degree and certifications are desirable.
- 10+ Years’ experience designing, developing, implementing enterprise scale technology solutions
- 3+ Years’ experience defining and implementing strategies under a CIO or technical leader
Expected Core Competencies to be a successful EA at FM Global: Candidates are expected to demonstrate following non-technical skills consistently.
- Developing a future-state or target architecture for their domain
- Setting delivery guardrails and architecture principles that are informed by enterprise strategy
- Reviewing changes in business needs to determine when architecture principles or standards should be revised (Governance Approach)
- Building and maintaining roadmaps
- Coaching others to think like architects (Architectural Coaching)
- Anticipating a range of possible business scenarios and building flexibility for future needs
- Seeking and incorporating context and feedback from product teams and stake holders
- Identifying new digital opportunities to advance business strategy
- Understanding the enterprise's relationships with external entities in its ecosystems
- Ensuring deliverables are aligned to strategic business goals (Strategic Outcomes & Alignment)
- Identifying and accounting for risk when planning or executing projects (Risk Management)
- Identifying realistic and simple solutions to business challenges (Pragmatic approach)
- Acknowledging the strengths as well as the limits of their own experience, expertise and ability (adaptability)
- Understanding the enterprise-level implications of day-to-day decisions (big picture thinking)
- Challenging stakeholders' legacy assumptions and commonly held beliefs
- Making progress even when given unclear, contradictory or inconsistent information (comfort with ambiguity)
- Coming up with new solutions, enhancements or alternatives to how work gets done
- Proposing improvements to deliverables and processes without being asked (proactive)
- Collaborating with other technical domains to achieve target-state architecture
- Surfacing potential security risks of architecture standards and deliverables (cyber judgement)
- Applying design-thinking methods to ensure end-user needs and perspectives are addressed (human centric approach)
- Accounting for the interdependencies across projects, products or business domains
- Supporting and participating in agile and iterative solution development (MVP mindset)
- Understanding stakeholder motivations, metrics and incentives to build trust
- Facilitating productive discussions among groups of stakeholders
- Communicating and clarifying expectations for stakeholders' contributions to projects
- Convincing stakeholders to take specific courses of action (influencing)
- Demonstrating tact and diplomacy when confronted with contentious or sensitive situations (savvy)
- Articulating ideas through compelling and relatable narratives (story telling)
The salary range for this position is $138,800 to $216,800. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center