Principal Enterprise Cloud ArchitectInformation Services - Other, Information Technology Job ID 2022-11738 Johnston, Rhode Island 03/15/2022
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Enterprise Cloud Architect (EA) is a key member of the Enterprise Architecture Organization responsible for strategic alignment of cloud technologies with business vision to enable desired outcomes.
This role identifies and assesses the current state of the technology, products, solutions, and processes at FM Global and provides recommendations, strategies, and roadmaps to move the company toward an optimized target state that improves business capabilities and drives innovation.
The cloud architect’s work is very closely related to other architecture roles, namely, enterprise architects and other senior Solution and IT architects. Whereas the EA team handles a variety of functions, the cloud architect is laser-focused on the strategic and groundbreaking architecture efforts that cloud introduces. The incumbent collaborates with other Architects to provide guidance that ensures technology products are designed to support the evolution of business objectives. The EA provides technical governance for certain overarching technical constructs. They foster collaboration across the Product and Technology Enablement organizations at FM Global and develops cross-organizational relationships with business and technology partners to influence the enterprise-wide architecture.
Specifically, the Enterprise Cloud Architect:
- Leads cultural change for cloud adoption. You will actively promote cloud services where appropriate within the entire organization to ensure that the organization properly architects business solutions for cloud. The cloud architect must inspire a new culture and resist the urge to implement "business as usual." The cloud architect must push the organization through thought leadership to incorporate cloud computing accurately and effectively.
- You will develop and coordinate cloud architecture across a variety of disparate areas within the organization. These areas include (but are not limited to) Application development, Application portfolio and life cycle management, Data management, analytics and protection, External IT hosting, Governance, Identity, and access management (IAM), Infrastructure, Integration, Network, Security, privacy and compliance, User experience etc. This does not mean that the cloud architect dictates or implements all such changes, but they must build relationships with the functional architects in each area to influence each toward the changes necessary.
- Develops a Cloud Strategy and coordinates Adoption. You will be responsible for clearly articulating to the organization those scenarios wherein cloud services may or may not fit. You will Architect enterprise guidance that conveys best practices and common pitfalls for cloud system design, infrastructure integrations, application development practices, and application runtime principles. Identify a comprehensive set of risks posed by cloud computing services and maintain a risk-mitigation-mapping matrix for coping with and overcoming such risks. For each service, establish governance that will allow cloud services to be consumed in an agile fashion to meet immediate business needs yet balance against unconstrained adoption.
- Develop a methodology for ordering and provisioning repetitive cloud services either through internal tools/processes or by using external provider's tools/processes. Promote automating those cloud tasks that can be instrumented and conducted programmatically so that human delays and mistakes do not impact the speed and agility of cloud benefits.
- Design the comprehensive set of enterprise management processes, tools, integrations, and procedures to ensure running cloud systems is smooth. The effort should closely align with IT operations management offices within the organization. You will deliver reference architecture / blueprints and ensure the guidance is implemented through reviews and mentorship activities.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience with implementing public cloud solutions such as Azure (preferred)/AWS with large scale digital transformation efforts. Cloud Architect certifications are highly desirable.
- Expertise in one or more architecture domains: application, security, data, integration, infrastructure.
- Organizationally savvy. Skilled strategist and planner.
- Designing enterprise architecture with modern, enabling technologies and processes e.g., cloud computing, networking, CI/CD, virtualization, agile design and development practices, standards-based authentication, and authorization protocols.
- Collaborating with information security, business process architects, product owners, and business strategists and other architects to design and communicate an innovative, secure, and pragmatic architecture that enables continuous delivery of business value.
- Conducting technology evaluations, proof of concepts, prototyping.
- Experience implementing observability and other operational characteristics of a distributed public cloud infrastructure (PaaS, IaaS, SaaS etc.)
- Persuasive communication skills: oral presentations, writing, negotiation, active listening, influence positive team dynamics.
- Architectural reviews and technology governance functions.
- Ability to collaborate with other parts of the organization including business users and IS management.
- Ability to translate technology trends and communicate the impact on implementations within FM Global and evaluate the right time to introduce them if needed.
- Excellent skills and demonstrated experience in Persuasion, Negotiation, Managing Relationships, Team building, Listening, oral and written communications.
- Ability and interest in serving as an IT industry expert in leading edge computing architecture.
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field; or equivalent work experience and training. Advanced degree and certification are desirable!
- 10+ Years’ experience designing, developing, implementing enterprise scale technology solutions
- 3+ Years’ experience defining and implementing strategies under a CIO or technical leader
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center