Principal Software Engineer - PlatformTechnology - Software Engineer Job ID 2023-14004 Primary Location: Johnston, Rhode Island 01/30/2024 Hiring Range: $114,300 - $164,200
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one third of FORTUNE 1000size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clientsmaintain continuity in their business operations by drawing uponstate-of-the-art loss prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in over 100 countries, in many challenging roles.
This is a US-based position that is eligible for remote work. Candidates must be open to periodic travel to headquarters located in Johnston, RI, dependent on business needs. Must be willing to work EST hours.
We are hiring highly skilled Principal Software Engineer to join our team and work with our infrastructure technology specialist on shared goals and agile practices. . This is a phenomenal opportunity for someone who would like to showcase and practice the art of software engineering & design and help our Platform teams deliver high quality software.
As a hands-on member of this team, you will collaborate with assigned team members to lead design and implementation of multi-tiered enterprise solutions that are feature rich, performant, and maintain a high degree of test automation. You will also work side-by-side with team members to implement complex infrastructure/application solutions ensuring they are well-developed solutions focused on quality, performance and maintainability.
This role will actively participate and contribute to technical design, coding, and code reviews. You will work to improve your skills and capabilities and those of other developers within your agile chapter through experimentation, training, and knowledge sharing.
You will bring…
- Strong software engineering and design skills.
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to create design artifacts such as software models and application architecture diagrams.
- Commitment to delivery.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a desire to collaborate openly within a fast paced team.
- A deep desire to learn and apply technology in a pragmatic way to create client value.
- Experience designing and building systems that are maintainable, evolvable, and highly tested.
- Ability to optimally participate in peer code reviews and pull requests, both as the reviewer and the reviewee.
- The desire and initiative to know the latest in development technologies, tools, and implementation patterns to share this knowledge within teams and the broader organization.
10+ years of Software engineering and design experience with large scale business applications in a fast-paced iterative development environment.
5+ years’ experience leading software design in teams of 5+ team members.
5+ years of experience in public cloud
2+ years of Technical leadership/Consulting background preferred.
- Experience with C#, .NET, data structures, basic algorithms, and applying object-oriented principles and design patterns.
- Strong API design and development skills.
- Proficiency with development tools such as Visual Studio and Git.
- Proficiency with relational databases craft and query construction and optimization (we use SQL Server and PostgreSQL; other RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems) experience is acceptable.)
- Strong understanding of architectural principles of software development, modelling, and security.
- Strong understanding of the deployment pipeline tools.
- Sound understanding of Graph, modern security models and integration with Services (like hasura), database skills
- Solid understanding of Authentication models to help drive integration of the Authorization technologies (PlainID) with FM Global data sources to obtain and run user data. – (STS/B2C)
- Observability skills, scripting skills, automation, Pipeline/CICD experience, DevOps
- Solving expertise to help manage a team – Diagnostic skills.
- Ability to manage a team to support and improve key technologies
- Ability to know the latest on current technologies and learn collaboratively and independently.
- Effective at both verbal and written communication based on the intended audience.
- Solid Interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to take ownership.
- Must have a strong work ethic, time management skills, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently or on a team.
- Ability to coordinate activities with team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and change priorities with effective results.
- Ability to share knowledge and mentor colleagues in a technical area of expertise.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, Information Technology, or relevant work experience.
Advanced degree and certification are desirable!
The hiring range for this position is $114,300 to $164,200. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health, and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center