Principal Software Engineer- Production Support (Multiple Levels)Information Services - Software Engineer, Engineering, Engineering - Other, Information Technology Job ID 2023-12740 Primary Location: Johnston, Rhode Island 01/14/2023
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This position is open to candidates seeking remote opportunities. Candidate must be open to quarterly or monthly travel to headquarters located in Johnston, RI dependent on business needs.
We are hiring a Principal Software Engineer to join our team. This is a great opportunity for somebody who would like to enhance their current skills and learn new technologies.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will emphasize partnership and servant leadership within your team and the organization. You will collaborate with your team members to design and implement multi-tiered enterprise solutions that are feature rich, performant, and maintain a high degree of test automation.
You will actively participate and contribute to technical discussions and code reviews. You will work to enhance your skills and capabilities as well as those of other developers within your agile chapter through experimentation, training, and knowledge sharing.
You will bring…
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to delivery.
- Excellent communication skills and a desire to collaborate openly within a fast-moving team.
- A deep desire to learn and apply technology in a pragmatic way to create client value.
- Experience designing and building systems that are maintainable, evolvable, and highly tested.
- Ability to effectively participate in peer code reviews and pull requests, both as the reviewer and the reviewee.
- The desire and initiative to know the latest in development technologies, tools, and implementation patterns to share this knowledge within teams and the broader organization.
5+ years of in-depth experience in object-oriented business application design and development in a complex client server environment.
Hands on experience with the following:
- .NET Core
- API Integration Experience
- Service Bus (preferred)
- XUnit or other Testing Frameworks
Structured and object-oriented design, development and implementation of business applications in current computing architectures.
Systems Development Life Cycle as pertains to software development projects.
Working knowledge of relevant technologies, tools, and middleware, including development technologies and scripting languages (e.g., VB, VB.NET, ASP, ASP. NET, MSMQ (Microsoft Message Queuing), Biztalk, Oracle, SQL Server, stored procedures, HTML/XML/XSL, COM, DCOM, ODBC, ADO (Azure DevOps), etc.)
Conceptual knowledge of information technologies in distributed client/server environments.
- Application development using current computing architectures and environments (e.g., multi-tiered Client/Server Web)
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to estimate development tasks for small to medium sized projects. Several of the following: Server Side and Client-Side development techniques, object-oriented design and development, multi-threading, choosing Transports, Clustering, Distributed Offline, developing for optimal network performance, selection of deployment options.
- Expertise across multiple technologies including servers, browsers, 3rd party utilities/tools for integrating application components with database management systems and legacy systems.
- Project management: planning and carrying out projects from vision through implementation.
- Self-motivated to know the latest in development technologies, tools and techniques.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to translate technical concepts as appropriate to the level of the audience.
- Ability to work self-directed and as part of a team on projects of varying size; works well on multi-functional project teams and shows commitment to tasks, project, and to team.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Four Year Degree in Computer Science or Related Field
The salary range for this position is $97,500 to $159,400. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center