Senior Consultant Engineer
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global Atlanta Operations has an immediate opening for a resident Consultant Engineer in the Memphis, TN area.
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Facility & Natural Hazards Consultant Engineers will interact with FM Global clients in a variety of industries. Experienced engineers will use their expertise to consult with clients to protect their facilities against fire, explosion, earthquake, flood, wind and many other hazards. As a resident Consultant Engineer, you will develop strong client relationships with clients to advise on risks associated with their business as well as develop and implement risk improvement strategies.
A Consultant Engineer at FM Global is expected to handle field, office and project work for clients within a wide range of industries (including manufacturing, warehousing and retailing). Small to medium sized locations will be expected to be handled with minimal supervision. Larger locations and more challenging occupancies will be assigned based upon skill level. These products and services are expected to be delivered in a timely and efficient manner. The individual will also be expected to achieve risk improvement by ensuring client understanding, consulting to reach client agreements, and executing follow-ups until completion.
Your main geographic area will be within several hours of Memphis, but overnight travel will be occasionally required at approximately 20 to 30 nights per year.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Evaluate the integrity and reliability of equipment, fire protection systems, and identify hazards and deficiencies to deliver focused risk improvement solutions and reduce facility risk
- Utilize FM Global operating standards, data sheets and guides to provide risk guidance and implement best practices
- Prepare engineering reports, loss expectancies to support risk improvement
- Collaborate with Operations Engineering, Client Services, Account Management and Underwriting on fire and natural hazard recommendations
- Engineers will work from a home office, must be able to manage their time and work independently with minimal supervision
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in industry as an engineer
- Candidates will possess strong verbal and written communication skills, proficiency in MS Office products is required
- Candidates must be analytical, organized and have good problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A valid driver’s license is required, a company car is provided
- Strong organizational, communication, listening and interpersonal skills are a must.
- Effective negotiation and “sales” skills.
- Solid technical aptitude including a diverse knowledge of engineering principals.
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision.
- Effective in working with other team members to support clients and achieve objectives
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds or 11.34 kilograms
- Able to climb ladders
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.