Senior Server Technology Specialist (Data Protection / Virtualization)
Johnston, Rhode Island
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This position is responsible for the administration of FM Global’s server and network operating systems environments. This position typically focuses on one of the standard server/network operating environments (e. g. Windows, VMware, Unix, Linux) that is employed by FM Global. This is the first level in the Systems job family. Incumbent is responsible for the installation, maintenance and upgrade of hardware/software for these standard operating environments.
In addition to the server and virtualization aspects of this position, the incumbent will be responsible for oversight of FM Global’s data protection and backup infrastructure. Today FM Global employs EMC Networker and Data Domain technologies in data center locations, but we are in the process of transitioning to Cohesity for data protection and backups. This individual will help lead the transition effort across remote office locations and data centers.
The Senior Systems Specialist automates anywhere it is feasible to do so. Using tools like PowerShell and API’s to transform abstract tasks into repeatable operational processes. This position can be viewed as the entry point into the Platform Engineering job family.
- Perform requirements definition and procurement of server solutions. Performs installation and configuration of server/storage based systems per functional requirements within FM Global and industry standard defined best practices.
- Manages ticket queues and responds to incident tickets received from the service desk. Monitors core infrastructure system compliance, performance and security logs, and escalates potential issues to more senior team members. Troubleshoots and resolves server and storage problems of both operating system and hardware level issues working with internal and external support resources as necessary. Troubleshoots basic server and storage issues by working in conjunction with other IS functional areas.
- Ensures compliance with established security practices. Ensures proper backup on assigned server and storage platforms, and performs file level restores as required.
- Performs Operating System installations and upgrades including all software patches and security hot fixes. Follows established operating system and network services policies and procedures for the server environments. Under the defined parameters for server change management, assists application teams with upgrades of commercial and FM Global proprietary software.
- Research, implement, and support third party software products running on Windows servers such as monitoring, patching and reporting applications.
- Generation of operational reports and creation/maintenance of documentation pertaining to server systems.
- Demonstrates a fundamental working knowledge of FM Global’s business processes.
- Based on management direction and assigned tasks, plans and prioritizes daily workload and escalates issues to management in a timely fashion.
- Plan and executes small to mid size technical projects within the server area.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills to achieve a cooperative working relationship both within the team and throughout the organization.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Comptia A+/Server+ Certification or equivalent experience for all server platform positions;
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) preferred for Windows server roles
- 3+ years in Information Technology.
- 3+ years administering PCs and/or servers in a corporate environment.
- 1-2+ years administering and troubleshooting in an enterprise environment
- Experience administering and troubleshooting VMWare vSphere environments
- 1-2+ years administering and troubleshooting Windows Server and Microsoft Active Directory.
- 1+ years administering and troubleshooting Storage environments.
- 1+ years managing IS projects of small to medium complexity.
- Windows Server 2008-2019
- VMWare Hypervisor
- Cisco UCS/Hyperflex
- Data Protection/Backup
- Advanced Powershell scripting
- DellEMC Networker/Data Domain
- Cohesity Data Protection Platform
- Azure/AWS Cloud experience
- DellEMC ReadyNode/VxRail