Senior Software Engineer - API & Integration
Johnston, Rhode Island
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Join an Agile development team at FM Global that designs, builds, and implements state-of-the-art applications that enable our multi-billion-dollar business. These teams expertly design and develop applications and services that provide critical data from our transactional systems to drive business processes throughout the company and for our customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer you bring:
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Dedication to delivery.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to collaborate openly within a fast paced team.
- A deep desire to learn and apply technology in a pragmatic way to build client value.
- Experience designing and building systems that are maintainable, evolvable, and highly tested.
You will emphasize partnership and servant leadership within your team and the organization. You will collaborate with your team members to design and implement multi-tiered enterprise solutions that are feature rich, performant, and maintain a high degree of test automation. You will actively participate and contribute to technical discussions and code reviews. You will work to enhance your skills and capabilities and those of other developers within your Agile chapter through experimentation, training, and knowledge sharing.
5+ years of in-depth experience in object-oriented business application design and development in a multi-tiered environment including at least one year in a development leadership capacity.
Successful candidates will demonstrate
- Strong proficiency with C#, .NET, data structures, basic algorithms, and applying object-oriented principles and design patterns.
- Solid understanding of architectural principles of software development, data modeling, and security.
- Strong proficiency with development tools such as Visual Studio and Git.
- Strong proficiency with relational databases design and query construction and optimization (SQL Server preferred).
- Experience developing database stored procedures using T/SQL or PL-SQL.
- Experience building Desktop applications with WPF, UWP, or Windows Forms.
- Experience building Web applications with Angular, React, or ASP.NET.
- Experience designing and implementing efficient RESTful APIs.
- Experience with Object-Relational tools including: Entity Framework, EF Core, Dapper, or NHibernate.
- Experience implementing unit and integration tests with NUnit, xUnit, MS Test, Selenium or similar.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively participate in peer code reviews and pull requests, both as reviewer.
- Self-motivated to know the latest development technologies, tools, and implementation patterns and a desire to share this knowledge within teams and the broader organization.
Additional not required but preferred
- Experience with Agile methodologies and frameworks
- Experience with advanced SQL topics such as CTE, Change Data Capture, and Temporal Tables
- Experience with authentication within REST based services using OAuth or OpenID Connect
- Experience with fine grained authorization within REST based services
- Experience with event driven architecture
- Experience with Azure, specifically service bus or event grid
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related subject area or equivalent work experience and technical training with a non-related Bachelor degree. Advanced degree and certification are desirable.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.