Senior Software Engineer - API
Johnston, Rhode Island
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Develops, maintains, and enhances multi-tiered, client/server business applications. These applications may be transactional or analytical in nature. Individuals holding this position are typically assigned to project teams but may work independently. This is the second level in the Software Engineering job family. Incumbents collaborate with business staff, IT colleagues and other stakeholders to evaluate defined business requirements and processes, assess available technologies and recommend solution options. Incumbents build application solutions which may involve diverse development platforms, software, hardware, technologies and tools.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline; or equivalent work experience and training. Advanced degree and certification are desirable.
- 5+ Years’ experience designing, developing, implementing technology solutions.
- Experience with developing solutions using C#.
- Experience with .NET Framework 4.5+ and/or .NET Core.
- Strong knowledge working with Web Services and API technologies (REST, XML/JSON, SOAP).
- Experience with RESTful design principles.
- Experience in API design using Open API specification in YAML using tools such as Swagger.
- Experience with design & modelling key business events using an eventing technology.
- Experience with writing applications using event driven architecture (EDA).
- Experience in Continuous Integration and Test-Driven Development frameworks.
- Experience with source control tools.
- Knowledge of secure coding practices.
- Strong written and verbal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
- Familiarity with basic networking and infrastructure design principles and SOA Principles.
- Experience with agile methodologies.
- Self-motivated to stay current in development technologies, tools and techniques.
- Experience developing and delivering high quality solutions using API Management Tools is a plus.
- Knowledge of web security standards relating to APIs (OAuth, SSL, CORS, JWT, etc.) is a plus.
- Knowledge of API Management concepts & lifecycle is a plus.
- Knowledge of Azure Integration technologies, such as Service Bus or Event Grid, is a plus.