Senior Software Engineer
Johnston, Rhode Island
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Join an Agile development team at FM Global that designs, builds, and implements state-of-the-art applications that enable our multi-billion-dollar business! These teams expertly design and develop applications and services that provide critical data from our transactional systems to drive business processes throughout the company and for our customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer you bring:
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Commitment to delivery
- Excellent communication skills and a desire to collaborate openly within a fast-moving team
- A deep desire to learn and apply technology in a pragmatic way to create client value
- Experience designing and building systems that are maintainable, evolvable, and highly tested
You will emphasize partnership and servant leadership within your team and the organization. You will collaborate with your team members to design and implement multi-tiered enterprise solutions that are feature-rich, performant, and maintain a high degree of test automation. You will actively participate and contribute to technical discussions and code reviews. You will work to enhance your skills and capabilities and those of other developers within your Agile chapter through experimentation, training, and knowledge transfer.
5+ years of in-depth experience in object-oriented business application design and development in a multi-tiered environment including at least one year in a development leadership capacity.
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Strong proficiency with C#, .NET, data structures, basic algorithms, and applying object-oriented principles and design patterns
- Solid understanding of architectural principles of software development, data modeling, and security
- Strong proficiency with development tools such as Visual Studio and Git
- Strong proficiency with relational databases design and query construction and optimization (SQL Server preferred)
- Experience building desktop applications with WPF
- Experience developing database stored procedures using T/SQL
- Experience with ETL technologies such as SSIS
- Experience designing and implementing efficient RESTful APIs
- Experience with object-relational tools such as: Entity Framework, EF Core, Dapper, or NHibernate.
- Experience implementing unit and integration tests with NUnit, xUnit, MS Test, Selenium or similar.
- Experience designing and implementing test automation code using C# and other programming languages, automation scripts, and test automation tools such as Selenium/Appium, Ready API, and other resources.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively participate in peer code reviews and pull requests, both as the reviewer
- Self-motivated to stay ahead of development technologies, tools, and implementation patterns and a desire to share this knowledge within teams and the broader organization.
Additional not required but preferred:
- Experience with Agile methodologies and frameworks
- Experience with test case management tools, test case generation techniques, and problem tracking/reporting systems.
- Experience with creation/refinement of acceptance criteria using Gherkin.
- Demonstrable ability to perform functional, integration, load/stress and regression testing and to accurately evaluate and detail the results.
- Experience building Web applications with technologies such as Angular, React, or ASP.NET.
- Experience with advanced SQL topics such as CTE, Change Data Capture, and Temporal Tables
- Experience with authentication within REST-based services using OAuth or OpenID Connect
- Experience with fine grained authorization within REST-based services
- Experience with event driven architecture
- Experience with Azure, specifically service bus or event grid
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field. Advanced degree and certification are desirable.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.