Senior Software Engineer
Johnston, Rhode Island
We connect people, processes and technologies. We enable strategy, empower business, and create value for clients, partners and employees. That's what makes Technology at FM Global so exciting. We build resilience and security into all aspects of our technology infrastructure which is the cornerstone from which all other services are provided.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
NATURE IS NOT PREDICTABLE. OUR TECHNOLOGY NEEDS TO BE.
For our 1,800 engineers helping protect our clients' businesses against potential disaster, the ability to reliably transact business from anywhere in the world is critical. That's what makes designing IT systems at FM Global so exciting. My colleagues and I build innovative mobile solutions that ensure critical loss prevention information is never more than a click away. This commitment to protecting our clients' businesses from loss through advanced technology solutions is why I choose to work at FM Global.George — Information Technology Manager — Employee Since 1995
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This position is open to fully remote candidates with quarterly travel to Headquarters located in Johnston, RI.
Designs, develops, maintains and enhances multi-tiered, client/server business applications!
These multi-tiered client/server business applications may be transactional or analytical in nature. Individuals holding this position may be assigned to project teams, work independently, or lead others on a project team, as assigned. This is the second level in the Software Engineering job family.
Incumbents must have a thorough understanding of available technology, tools and existing designs, and collaborate with business staff, IT (Information Technology) colleagues and other stakeholders to evaluate defined complex business requirements and processes, assess available technologies, determine infrastructure and recommend solution options. Incumbents design and build application solutions which may involve diverse development platforms, software, hardware, technologies and tools.
5+ years of in-depth experience in object-oriented business application design and development in a complex client server environment.
Hands on experience with the following:
- .Net Core
- ApI/Integration experience
- Service Bus (preferred)
- XUnit or other Testing Frameworks
Structured and object-oriented design, development and implementation of business applications in current computing architectures.
Systems Development Life Cycle as pertains to software development projects.
Working knowledge of relevant technologies, tools, and middleware, including development technologies and scripting languages (e.g., VB, VB.Net, ASP, ASP. Net, MSMQ (Microsoft Message Queueing), Biztalk, Oracle, SQL Server, stored procedures, HTML/XML/XSL, COM, DCOM, ODBC, ADO (Azure DevOps), etc.)
Conceptual knowledge of information technologies in distributed client/server environments.
- Application development using current computing architectures and environments (e.g., multi-tiered Client/Server Web)
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to estimate development tasks for small to medium sized projects. Several of the following: Server Side and Client-Side development techniques, object-oriented design and development, multi-threading, choosing Transports, Clustering, Distributed Offline, developing for optimal network performance, selection of deployment options.
- Expertise across multiple technologies including servers, browsers, 3rd party utilities/tools for integrating application components with database management systems and legacy systems.
- Project management: planning and carrying out projects from vision through implementation.
- Self-motivated to know the latest in development technologies, tools and techniques.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to translate technical concepts as appropriate to the level of the audience.
- Ability to work self-directed and as part of a team on projects of varying size; works well on multi-functional project teams and shows commitment to tasks, project, and to team.
- Strong interpersonal skills
4 Year/Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information technology, or a related field, or equivalent work experience and technical training with a non-related Bachelor degree.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.