Software Engineer (Multiple Levels)
Johnston, Rhode Island
We connect people, processes and technologies. We enable strategy, empower business, and create value for clients, partners and employees. That's what makes Technology at FM Global so exciting. We build resilience and security into all aspects of our technology infrastructure which is the cornerstone from which all other services are provided.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
NATURE IS NOT PREDICTABLE. OUR TECHNOLOGY NEEDS TO BE.
For our 1,800 engineers helping protect our clients' businesses against potential disaster, the ability to reliably transact business from anywhere in the world is critical. That's what makes designing IT systems at FM Global so exciting. My colleagues and I build innovative mobile solutions that ensure critical loss prevention information is never more than a click away. This commitment to protecting our clients' businesses from loss through advanced technology solutions is why I choose to work at FM Global.George — Information Technology Manager — Employee Since 1995
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles
Join an Agile development team at FM Global that designs, builds, and implements state-of-the-art applications that enable our multi-billion-dollar business! These teams expertly design and develop applications and services that provide critical data from our transactional systems to drive business processes throughout the company and for our customers.
As a Software Engineer you bring:
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Commitment to delivery
- Excellent communication skills and a desire to collaborate openly within a fast-moving team
- A deep desire to learn and apply technology in a pragmatic way to create client value
- Experience designing and building systems that are maintainable, evolvable, and highly tested
You will emphasize partnership and servant leadership within your team and the organization. You will collaborate with your team members to design and implement multi-tiered enterprise solutions that are feature-rich, performant, and maintain a high degree of test automation.
You will actively participate and contribute to technical discussions and code reviews.
You will work to enhance your skills and capabilities and those of other developers within your Agile chapter through experimentation, training, and knowledge transfer.
2+ years of in-depth experience in object-oriented business application design and development in a multi-tiered environment including at least one year in a development leadership capacity.
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Strong proficiency with C#, .NET, data structures, basic algorithms, and applying object-oriented principles and design patterns
- Solid understanding of architectural principles of software development, data modeling, and security
- Strong proficiency with development tools such as Visual Studio and Git
- Strong proficiency with relational databases design and query construction and optimization (SQL Server preferred)
- Experience building desktop applications with WPF
- Experience developing database stored procedures using T/SQL
- Experience with ETL technologies such as SSIS
- Experience with reporting technologies such as SSRS
- Experience designing and implementing efficient RESTful APIs
- Experience with object-relational tools such as: Entity Framework, EF Core, Dapper, or NHibernate.
- Experience implementing unit and integration tests with NUnit, xUnit, MS Test, Selenium or similar.
- Experience designing and implementing test automation code using C# and other programming languages, automation scripts, and test automation tools such as Selenium/Appium, Ready API, and other resources.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively participate in peer code reviews and pull requests, both as the reviewer
- Self-motivated to stay ahead of development technologies, tools, and implementation patterns and a desire to share this knowledge within teams and the broader organization.
Additional not required but preferred:
- Experience with Agile methodologies and frameworks
- Experience with test case management tools, test case generation techniques, and problem tracking/reporting systems.
- Experience with creation/refinement of acceptance criteria using Gherkin.
- Demonstrable ability to perform functional, integration, load/stress and regression testing and to accurately evaluate and detail the results.
- Experience with one or more BI technologies such as: (Power BI, OBIEE, SSAS, Microstrategy).
- Experience building Web applications with technologies such as Angular, React, or ASP.NET.
- Experience with advanced SQL topics such as CTE, Change Data Capture, and Temporal Tables
- Experience with authentication within REST-based services using OAuth or OpenID Connect
- Experience with fine grained authorization within REST-based services
- Experience with event driven architecture
- Experience with Azure, specifically service bus or event grid
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field. Advanced degree and certification are desirable.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.