Software Engineering Manager Chapter Lead
Johnston, Rhode Island
We connect people, processes and technologies. We enable strategy, empower business, and create value for clients, partners and employees. That's what makes Technology at FM Global so exciting. We build resilience and security into all aspects of our technology infrastructure which is the cornerstone from which all other services are provided.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
NATURE IS NOT PREDICTABLE. OUR TECHNOLOGY NEEDS TO BE.
For our 1,800 engineers helping protect our clients' businesses against potential disaster, the ability to reliably transact business from anywhere in the world is critical. That's what makes designing IT systems at FM Global so exciting. My colleagues and I build innovative mobile solutions that ensure critical loss prevention information is never more than a click away. This commitment to protecting our clients' businesses from loss through advanced technology solutions is why I choose to work at FM Global.George — Information Technology Manager — Employee Since 1995
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Software Engineering Manager Chapter Lead guides technology adoption across product teams, builds, and maximizes the capabilities and skills within the chapter, manages and supports chapter members (employees and contingent labor). The Software Engineering Manager Chapter Lead is responsible for the development and growth of their chapter members and building of competencies. They are responsible for team composition optimization, for reviewing priorities and assessing resource and/or backlog redirection, for metrics associated with talent evolution, and for all other administrative responsibilities within the Chapter.
The Software Engineering Manager Chapter Lead is a technologist who identifies relevant technology trends and tools that could improve skillsets and overall technology product delivery. The Software Engineering Manager Chapter Lead acts as practice leader who is hands-on, contributes directly to the success of the team, acquires domain knowledge, engages with solution architects, and product owners as a technical SME to ensure alignment of strategic direction for the technology managed within their area.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent is required. Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Management of Information Systems is a plus.
- 7+ years’ experience as a Software Engineer, Application Developer, or Test Automation Engineer developing software solutions using technology such as C#, .NET, OOPs, Angular/React, Specflow, Selenium, Cypress, Jest.
- 2+ years’ experience managing, coaching, mentoring, and developing a highly motivated technical workforce.
- Experience interviewing, recruiting, hiring, assessing, and retaining technical personnel.
- Solid understanding of software testing methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of modern software engineering fundamentals.
- Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, facilitation, and influencing skills.
- Experience working with architects and product owners to understand capacity and demands and optimizing these skills on teams.
- Experience encouraging development team members to create a rewarding working environment in which they are driven and motivated to have a real impact within their respected product teams.
- Experience creating an environment of learning and continuously improving your skills, development team skills, and your department.
- Experience in evaluating technologies, running effective technology proof of concepts, and coordinating technology vendor relationships.
- Experience working on cross-functional initiatives and products that cover several organizations, business units or countries.
- Experience in fast-paced Agile environments is a plus.
- Recognized servant leader
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.