SWE 2019 Annual Conference - Engineers & Information Technology (Full Time and Internships)
Johnston, Rhode Island
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
Please note: This posting is not an indication that there are job openings currently available for your preferred location(s). By applying to this opportunity, you are expressing interest in a Consultant Engineer or Information Technology job or internship should an opening be available.
We are a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
FM Global has several challenging, full-time, co-op and internship opportunities for Engineers and Information Technology professionals and students.
Available opportunities include
- Consultant Engineer (full-time and internships)
- Software Development (full-time and co-op)
- Cyber Security (full-time and co-op)
- Infrastructure - Networking & Server (full-time and co-op)
- Data Analytics (full-time and co-op/internships)
Skills and requirements for Consultant Engineer role:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and heights
- Proficient in MS Office products
- You will be expected to work independently and should be willing to operate from a home office.
Skills we are seeking for the software development role:
- Enrolled in Computer Science or related degree program
- Theory and principles of software engineering
- Fluency in high-level programming languages, environments, and tools for computing
- Knowledge of computer operating systems and basic knowledge of networks
- Ability to work effectively in teams and solve problems
Skills we are seeking for the cyber security role:
- Enrolled in a Computer Science, Cyber Security, Information Technology or related degree program
- Have strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to generate creative ideas to solve problems and improve work methods
- Strong team players that can work independently when needed and have a solid understanding of basic concepts in at least one technology discipline (i.e.: Networking, Systems Administration, End-User Support, Development etc.
Skills we are seeking in the server specialist role:
- Enrolled in a Computer Science, Information Technology, Network Engineering or related degree program
- Familiarity and experience using Windows server operating systems.
- Basic understanding of core server technologies, such as TCP/IP networking, database functions, Windows Endpoint OS (10,8,7), Windows servers and computer hardware.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, organized, strong problem solver and team player
- Strong understanding of basic concepts in at least one technology discipline (i.e.: Networking, Systems Administration, End-User Support, Development etc.)
Skills we are seeking for networking role:
- Demonstrated ability to understand and administer new toolsets and technologies.
- Some experience with Cisco enterprise class routers and switches, Nexus platform exposure a plus.
- Ability to communicate in an understandable and professional manner, both written and verbal
- Strong background supporting end users in multiple areas.
- Experience with the design, configuration and management of wireless networks.
- Working knowledge of LAN/WAN and Wireless networking principles.
Skills we are seeking in the data analytics role:
- Data Literacy; understanding database fundamentals, including SQL
- General knowledge of computer fundamentals, including operating systems and networks