Consulant Engineer I
Los Angeles, California
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
Overview - External
FM Global is one of the world’s largest risk management and industrial property insurance organizations. With 76 office locations in over 60 countries worldwide, FM Global provides specialized property protection to over one third of the FORTUNE 1000 companies as well as leading international corporations.
A new Consultant Engineer at FM Global will learn to engineer risk management solutions from experienced mentors and a community-based work culture for the first 12-18 months. The network of 1,900 loss prevention engineers, with backgrounds in physical engineering and fire protection, provide their clients with the benefit of FM Global’s superior financial strength, policy coverage, and research-based consulting.
At FM Global you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future of your clients. When you join our team at FM Global, you can leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disaster such as fires, explosions, earthquakes, floods, and many others.
What makes FM Global unique is our culture of camaraderie with colleagues and clients, the challenging work and the excitement of being part of a successful organization. We believe in a supportive work/life environment and encourage our employees to participate in our total rewards benefit program, including a pension program.
As a Los Angeles area based Consultant Engineer, you will have opportunities to travel to the following states:
Arizona, southern California, Hawaii, the southern tip of Nevada and New Mexico
If you enjoy variety, put your time-management and organizational skills to use handling field visits, office work, and projects for large commercial occupancies and hazards. You will work with minimal supervision and must be capable of workingindependently. Youwill also have the resources to build a rewarding career at FM Global including a structured hands-on training program.
Initially, assignments will be of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger complex commercial properties by visiting client facilities and performing evaluations that accurately quantify foreseeable physical and human element exposures while working with client on-site riskmanagement.
Responsibilities will include:
- Performhands-onsite assessments of the physical property, including roofs
- Conduct evaluations which include, but are not limited to, site water supplies, dust hazards, chemical storage, and rack storage arrangements for client products
- Ensure that FM Global Engineering Standards are followed and, as necessary communicate the appropriate recommendations and/or engineering solutions to clients
- Working from a home office and travel to clients' facilities daily (overnight travel is expected approximately 30% of the time). Travel to Natural Catastrophe sites will be required as needed.
Our Consultant Engineers are offered a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, company car, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, ability to work from home, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
Successful Consultant Engineer candidates have the followingqualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering (various specialties considered)
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- You will be expected to work independently and should be willing to operate from your home office.
- Authorization to work in the country you are applying to work in
- Candidates will possess strong verbal and written communication skills, proficiency in MS Office products is required
- Candidates must be analytical, organized and have good problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A valid driver’s license is required, a company car is provided
- Physical Requirements:
- Able to lift 25 pounds or 11.34 Kilograms
- Able to climb ladders
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.