At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is a US based company that operates in 100 countries with approx. 5,000 employees all over the world. With a history of more than 175 years and excellent financial ratings we are continuously growing, particularly in Europe and Eastern Europe.
We provide comprehensive global commercial and industrial property insurance, engineering-driven underwriting and risk management solutions, property loss prevention research and professional claims handling.
We currently have two fantastic opportunities to join the Paris Operations Engineering team as Consultant Engineer based in Italy (Milan Office) and reporting to our Group Manager Field Engineering.
The Consultant Engineers will be working out from our office in Milan and will use their expertise to consult with clients to protect their facilities against potential fire, explosions, mechanical/electrical breakdowns and natural hazards.
- Work in partnership with FM Global clients, understanding their businesses and helping them to prevent and to control fire, natural hazards and equipment related losses.
- Ensure that all hazards are properly identified at client locations: conduct on-site loss prevention evaluations to identify all reasonably foreseeable physical and human element exposures.
- Accurately quantify exposures to assure that the Account Team places an appropriate level of attention on the exposure and the impact to the business.
- Take appropriate steps to audit the operational functionality of protective equipment at client locations to maximize the opportunity for loss mitigation and ensure that the protection systems are maintained at all times.
- Obtain local client understanding and agreement on the hazards/exposures and their potential business impact.
- Achieve practical, effective on-site risk improvement, such as human element / maintenance programs and low / moderate cost physical improvements. In cooperation with Account Engineering, develop risk improvement plans requiring high capital investments.
- Illustrate the value-added differential of FM Global engineering capabilities and, in cooperation with Account Engineering, promote innovative methods to educate the client on loss prevention strategies.
- Identify upcoming changes at client locations to prevent associated exposures, providing timely high quality project support and plan review services changes to ensure that proper loss prevention considerations are achieved at the design stage.
Education Background and Experience
- Five years engineering degree with a minimum of 2-3 years experiences in industrial context (production, maintenance dept. or as process hazards consultant) Ideal engineering backgrounds are chemical, mechanical, civil and electrical.
- Fluency in italian & English -written & oral. German and Spanish would be a plus
The Consultant Engineer is expected to:
- Accept needed change despite the uncertainty it brings and constructively deal with problems that don’t have clear solutions.
- Build strong customer relationships, deliver client-centric solutions and follow up to ensure problems are solved.
- Build partnerships, work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives, welcome feedback and input of others.
- Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Make good and timely decisions by assessing complex issues in detail and from multiple angles to get the complete picture.
- Take ownership of own work, monitor progress of performance and change approach accordingly.
- Be problem-solving oriented and have a solution provider mindset.
The role requires extensive travelling in an assigned geographical area, but also throughout the operation territory, as well as to USA (more frequently during the initial training path, then sporadically later on).
You will also need to submit your application (with CV and Application Letter, in English) directly to Caroline Bouchery (email@example.com) and Arnaud Dufour (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Human Resources Department,
Closing Date for Applications: 30 April 2023