Internship on PV Panels Loss ExposureUniversity Recruiting - Opportunities for Students and Recent Graduates - Internship/Coop - Research, Research, Other Careers Job ID 2022-12318 Primary Location: Norwood, Massachusetts 10/08/2022
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The intern would be working on photovoltaic units related assessments, particularly to understand and evaluate loss exposure mechanisms and developing solutions to address them. The areas of focus would include any one or more of the areas such as robustness of solar panels against natural hazards, tracker systems, equipment/system failures, control systems and remote monitoring, energy storage, grid integration, decommissioning and salvage.
The student will join the equipment risk and reliability team of FM Global Research in Norwood, MA. The internship would be 3 to 4 months and will start as soon as possible. The selected candidate will be working closely with and under the guidance of the project lead. The intern student will:
- Following the main objective, develop detailed research ideas consulting with internal subject matter experts, and execute the tasks as planned and prioritized.
- Interface with project lead and multiple departments as needed, on any issues regarding data and methodologies.
- Analyze the data available in the literature on known failure mechanisms and vulnerabilities of PV panels.
- Provide insights and suggestions to improve the risk assessment methods based on the data-driven study.
- Apply engineering knowledge to assess the factors in design, operation, maintenance, testing, and inspection that may lead to the risk of failures at component and system levels.
- Students from disciplines such as electrical/ power engineering/industrial control systems and automation/mechanical/industrial engineering are considered suitable.
- Exposure to electrical, power generation, or industrial control systems with necessary exposure and flair to any one or more of the areas mentioned above is desirable.
- Seniors or graduate students with good academic standing and prior experience in the industry are preferred. However, undergraduates with prior exposure to PV installations will also be considered.
- Strength in attention to details, problem-solving, and result delivery.
- Self-driven and work under general guide (not close supervision).
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center