Internship to Develop a Reliability DatabaseUniversity Job ID 2022-12319 Primary Location: Norwood, Massachusetts 09/14/2022
Overview - External
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The intern would be working on building a reliability database for selected systems of interest such as fire protection systems. The database will be used for reliability analyses and for developing/evaluating test procedures/protocols. It would include failure rates and failure rate distributions, repair times and, ITM (Inspection, Testing and Maintenance) frequency and duration, and other reliability parameters.
The student will join the equipment risk and reliability team of FM Global Research in Norwood, MA, anticipated in the summer/fall 2022. The internship would be 3 to 4 months and will start as soon as possible. The selected candidate will be working closely with and under the guidance of the project lead. The intern student will:
- Following the main objective, develop detailed research ideas consulting with internal subject matter experts, and execute the tasks as planned and prioritized.
- Interface with project lead and multiple departments as needed, on any issues regarding data and methodologies.
- Analyze the data from FM Global engineering and/or clients� loss history, develop correlations among data analytics results and field experience.
- Provide insights and suggestions to improve the risk assessment methods based on the data-driven study.
- Apply engineering knowledge to assess the factors in design, operation, maintenance, testing, and inspection that may lead to the risk of failures at component and system levels.
- The student should have a background in reliability/ electrical/ mechanical/ industrial/ nuclear engineering disciplines.
- Seniors or graduate students with good academic standing and prior experience in the industry are preferred. However, undergraduates with demonstrated exposure to reliability analysis will also be considered.
- Experience with failure rate data, and exposure to reliability concepts and evaluations is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and MS Access software packages is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience of machinery design, operation, maintenance, testing, and inspection, especially in rotating machinery such as turbines and generators, is desired.
- Strength in attention to details, problem-solving, and result delivery.
- Self-driven and work under general guide (not close supervision).
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center