Lead Research Engineer for Control System Software Quality
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
As a Lead Research Engineer/Scientist for Control Systems (hardware and software) you will join our Equipment, Cyber, and Materials Science Research team at FM Global’s Norwood Research Facility near Boston, MA.
We are a team of inquisitive, cutting edge individuals who identify, create, and support the implementation of solutions for today’s business problems. Specifically, we are providing guidance for the FM Approvals (third party product certification), and Engineering (loss prevention guidance) organizations within FM Global that deliver property risk solutions to product manufacturers and insured clients.
- Conceptualize and develop reliable and secure interdependencies between software, protocols, system architectures, and networks of control systems (IIoT, Industrial Control Systems, etc.).
- Evaluate and guide the planning and testing of control systems, including software development lifecycle practices, reliability and security considerations.
- Manage the development and evaluation of approved scientific and engineering projects or tasks within projects, with minimal or limited
- Prepare reports and presentations describing study results, and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
- Undertake business-critical projects, interacting with internal and external customers and suppliers, and delivering and communicating the status and results of the
- Address short- and long-term business critical problems and develop new opportunities for FM Global to support property loss
- Understanding of control systems software testing, and different testing techniques.
- Experience in system integration testing involving hardware and software.
- Experience in development of control system software, test procedures and plans.
- Knowledge of relevant standards such as IEC 61131-3, 61508, 61511, and 15504
- Proven track record of creative problem solving and
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to explain control system integration to non-technical
- Proven ability to work with diverse teams in an inclusive environment focused on
- Security assessment methods and standards such as IEC 62443.
- System Quality Assurance Management (Hardware and software).
- BS, MS or PhD in a scientific or engineering
- 7+ years of Modern Control Systems Engineering (hardware, software, and integration)
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.