Lead Research Engineer for Control System Software Quality
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
As a Lead Research Engineer for Control System Software Quality you will join our Equipment, Cyber, and Materials Science Research team at FM Global’s Norwood Research Facility near Boston, MA. We are a team of inquisitive, cutting edge individuals who identify, create, and support the implementation of solutions for today’s business problems! Specifically, we are providing guidance for the Approvals, and Engineering organizations within FM Global that deliver property risk solutions to product manufacturers and insured clients.
- Evaluate overall control system (ICS/IIoT) software quality (including interactions with the control system environment), as well as the software development lifecycle practices of system manufacturers
- Plan, conduct, and direct the development and evaluation of approved scientific and engineering projects or tasks within projects, with minimal or limited supervision.
- Responsibilities include business-critical projects, interacting with internal and external customers and suppliers, delivering, and communicating the status and results of your projects.
- The ability to address short and long-term business critical problems and develop new opportunities for FM Global to support property loss prevention is required.
- Experience with Software Quality Assurance and Management
- Experience in the system integration area for software and hardware
- Experience in development of system architecture and programming languages for software requirement specification techniques’, such as ladder diagrams
- Knowledge of relevant standards such as IEC 61131-3, 61508, 61511 , and 15504
- Software testing of embedded systems and its interface with the control system environment
- Proven track record of creative problem solving and teamwork
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to explain complex cyber-related problems to non-technical audiences
- Proven ability to work with diverse teams in an inclusive environment focused on excellence
- Experience with Software Process Assessment Methods (CMMI, SPICE, etc.)
- Experience with Quality and Safety Plans for hardware and software components
- Experience with security assessment methods and standards such as IEC 62443
- BS, MS or PhD in a scientific or engineering discipline
- 7+ years of Control System Software development, QA, or related areas
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.