lloT Lab InternEngineering, Engineering - Other Job ID 2023-13705 Primary Location: Norwood, Massachusetts 09/21/2023
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
We are looking for an intern student to help develop physical and software setups in our IIoT lab. This opportunity will provide educational and research value to the student through various activities in the lab.
The student will join the equipment risk and reliability team of FM Global Research in Norwood, MA as early as possible in 2024. The assignment is at least 6 months. The intern will be closely working with and under the guidance of the project lead. The intern will
- Set up, operate, maintain, and trouble-shoot the testing equipment and software used in the IIoT lab including mechanical components, electrical and control components, instrumentations (sensors and data acquisition system), and data connectivity systems through wired or wireless technologies.
- Design test cases and develop test methodologies for equipment faulty/failure conditions originated from mechanical, electrical, control, and software issues, develop and document test procedures and results for research, certification, demonstrations, and training purposes.
- Conduct research at an appropriate level in the general area of industrial IoT, equipment anomaly detection, fault diagnosis and prognosis.
- The candidate should be working towards a graduate degree (well qualified juniors/seniors can be accepted case by case), in the field of mechanical engineering, mechatronics/robotic engineering, electrical engineering, or applied mechanics/physics.
- Strong hands-on experience in operating and trouble-shooting mechanical, electrical, and instrumentation (including signal processing, data acquisition, and communication) systems.
- Knowledge on system vibration required, rotor dynamics knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge and experience in mechatronics, robotics, and automation highly desired.
- Experience with rotating machinery desired.
- Knowledge and experience in data modeling/analytics for fault detection and diagnostics desired.
- Strong self-driven nature and work under general guidance (but not close supervision).
- Strong verbal and writing skills in communication, including with internal colleagues and supervisors, external customers, collaborators, technology providers and vendors.
- Strength in attention to details, problem-solving, and result delivery.
The hiring range for this position is $22.00 to $30.00 per hour. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center