Polymer Research InternshipEngineering, Engineering - Other Job ID 2023-13284 Primary Location: Norwood, Massachusetts 05/26/2023
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
FM Global’s research group, based in Norwood, MA is seeking an intern with a strong background in polymer engineering for 2023 to support studies in fire sprinkler systems and online DGA (dissolved gas analysis) monitors of transformers.
Our objective is to increase technical knowledge and to provide loss prevention solutions to FM Global and its customers. This intern will conduct work as part of a research project under the supervision of senior staff within the Equipment, Cyber & Materials Science Area of FM Global’s Research division. This internship offers the student an opportunity to assist and perform scientific and engineering projects, and to study and improve skills in areas such as:
- Aging of polymers in fire sprinkler systems
- Transformer DGA oil test by the headspace GC (gas chromatography) technique
- Testing of online DGA monitors for transformers
- Corrosion of fire sprinkler piping
- Loss data analysis: analytical and statistical
- Participate in the development of a test setup for vapor phase corrosion inhibitors for fire sprinkler systems
- Develop testing procedures and parameters for online multi-gas DGA monitors
- Operate the headspace GC for oil samples
- Support failure analysis of fire sprinkler piping
- Adhere to laboratory safety guidelines
- Seeking a student in an Polymer Engineering or Materials Science graduate program
- Experience in mechanical testing methods (e.g., hardness, tensile, etc.) of polymers
- Understanding of DGA principles and their applications
- Capable of conducting hands-on laboratory tasks with minimal supervision
- Good written and verbal communication skills
The hiring range for this position is $25.00 to $30.00 per hour. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with FM Global in the U.S. and a condition of FM Global office entry in Canada. Further, all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing onsite for open positions, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center