Post-Doc for Fire and Explosion Protection Research
Overview - External
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This position is for a limited term of up to three years, renewable each year. The role is typically focused on performing publishable work as part of a strategic research program under the guidance of a program manager or other senior research staff member(s).
This post-doc position is aimed at developing new scientific knowledge, innovative experimental techniques and advanced computational methods for fire and explosion protection. The objective is to provide the foundation and tools to support solving business problems for industrial and commercial property protection. Research areas of interests may include flame dynamics in gas and dust explosion, water-based suppression mechanism, innovative suppression methods without using water, and advanced diagnostic technologies for challenging environments with turbulent fire plumes and water sprays.
The experimental and numerical studies will have unique opportunities to be implemented and validated at full scale at FM Global Research Campus.
The qualification of suitable candidates will include:
- Ph.D. degree in relevant field such as mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, and physics.
- Strong fundamental background in combustion, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and applied mathematics.
- Extensive experiences in experimental and/or numerical methods in thermal-fluid science, especially combustion/fire research.
- Research experience in fire suppression and explosion protection is desirable!
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing innovative solutions to challenging technical problems.
- US Work Authorization (Required)
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce.