Senior Lead Research Scientist - Flood Modeling
Overview - External
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The person filling this position will be based at our Norwood, Massachusetts USA research facility, and will be responsible for planning and conducting research related to riverine flood, with a focus on hydraulic modeling.
Work will include:
- Conceptualizing and developing end-to-end solutions at local to global scales and integration with FM Global riverine and coastal flood maps.
- Preparing reports and presentations describing study results, and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
- Developing plans for strategic research that will lead to significant, measurable improvements in the ability to estimate future property losses.
This position requires:
- A PhD degree with a fundamental background in hydraulics and hydrodynamics, and a solid research record in the development and application of 1D and 2D hydraulic models to map riverine floods.
- Modeling experience demonstrating broad understanding of modeling principles including model setup, calibration, and validation.
- Experience with collecting, processing and analyzing data.
- Sound background in probability and statistics.
- Broad knowledge of numerical methods and demonstrated coding abilities using programming languages such as R, Python, FORTRAN, MATLAB, and/or others.
- Experience with High Performance Computing on Linux/Unix clusters and cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Skills with GIS tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL.
Applicants must have demonstrated project management abilities and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The job title may be adjusted depending on qualifications and experience.