Senior Lead Research Scientist– Riverine Flood Hydraulic ModelingApply Now Job ID 2019-8754 Date posted 11/12/2020
Overview - External
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The person filling this position will be based at our Norwood, Massachusetts USA research facilities and will be responsible for planning and conducting research related to riverine flood, with a focus on hydraulic modeling.
Work will include:
- Conceptualizing and developing end-to-end solutions at local to global scales and integration with FM Global riverine and coastal flood maps.
- Preparing reports and presentations describing study results, and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
- Developing plans for strategic research that will lead to significant, measurable improvements in the ability to estimate future property losses.
This position requires:
- A PhD degree with a fundamental background in hydraulics and hydrodynamics, and a solid research record in the development and application of 1D and 2D hydraulic models to map riverine floods.
- Modeling experience demonstrating broad understanding of modeling principles including model setup, calibration, and validation.
- Experience with collecting, processing and analyzing data.
- Sound background in probability and statistics.
- Broad knowledge of numerical methods and demonstrated coding abilities using programming languages such as R, Python, FORTRAN, MATLAB, and/or others.
- Experience with High Performance Computing on Linux/Unix clusters and cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Skills with GIS tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL.
Applicants must have demonstrated project management abilities and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The job title may be adjusted depending on qualifications and experience.
Training & Benefits
At FM Global, we strive to build ongoing partnerships with our clients, and key to accomplishing this is developing long-lasting relationships with our employees. For that reason, our benefits programs are designed to be attractive to employees throughout the various stages of their lives—and careers.
We call it TOTAL REWARDS.
Though specific policies and programs may vary by location, they are all designed to provide stability and security for you and your family. Now and in the future.
To support what matters to you, our Total Rewards benefits include:
- Extensive training and professional development
- Inclusive culture that seeks out and respects diversity
- Healthy work/life balance through employee-focused policies, such as healthcare, fitness reimbursement and paid time off
- Company-provided car (for field engineers)
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive base pay, an employee incentive plan, retirement benefits and programs
- Corporate citizenship programs and sustainability initiatives, including the Matching Gift and United Way campaign programs. Whether we're protecting the environment or giving back to the community, we are committed to doing business with honesty, integrity and transparency
The best way to learn more about what makes field engineering at FM Global so unique is to engage us in conversation. And visiting us at one of our events gives you the opportunity to ask questions in person and find out firsthand what makes our programs, our philosophy and our business so admired.