Senior Lead Research Scientist– Riverine Flood Hydraulic Modeling
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The person filling this position will be based at our Norwood, Massachusetts USA research facilities and will be responsible for planning and conducting research related to riverine flood, with a focus on hydraulic modeling.
Work will include:
- Conceptualizing and developing end-to-end solutions at local to global scales and integration with FM Global riverine and coastal flood maps.
- Preparing reports and presentations describing study results, and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
- Developing plans for strategic research that will lead to significant, measurable improvements in the ability to estimate future property losses.
This position requires:
- A PhD degree with a fundamental background in hydraulics and hydrodynamics, and a solid research record in the development and application of 1D and 2D hydraulic models to map riverine floods.
- Modeling experience demonstrating broad understanding of modeling principles including model setup, calibration, and validation.
- Experience with collecting, processing and analyzing data.
- Sound background in probability and statistics.
- Broad knowledge of numerical methods and demonstrated coding abilities using programming languages such as R, Python, FORTRAN, MATLAB, and/or others.
- Experience with High Performance Computing on Linux/Unix clusters and cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Skills with GIS tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL.
Applicants must have demonstrated project management abilities and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The job title may be adjusted depending on qualifications and experience.