Sr. Research Engineer-Industrial Controls Systems and Cyber SecurityResearch/Approvals - Research Engineer, Engineering - Other, Research Job ID 2023-13054 Primary Location: Norwood, Massachusetts 05/23/2023
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Much of today’s industrial value chain is managed through the use of industrial control systems (ICS), like SCADA, DCS, PLCs and IIOTs. Digital control systems and digitization continue to grow, thereby improving functionality and economics. Interconnectivity between control systems, devices and system external information will play a major role in the future. Robust design, operation, and maintenance are crucial for reliable and secure control systems and in turn to protect industry and our client’s business value.
We are looking for a Controls Systems Engineer / Researcher to join our team, preferably with a background in the Power Generation or Chemical industry. Hands-on experience in analyzing system diagrams, understanding normal operations and troubleshooting abnormal conditions is desired. Experience in ICS cyber security is a strong plus.
The Controls Systems Engineer / Researcher will be part of our Equipment and Cyber Research team. Our research focus is on risk prevention and risk mitigation for our clients globally. The successful candidate will help identify the most pressing problems and develop practical guidance and solutions for risk improvement. A specific focus area will be protecting the equipment and systems with emphasis in high challenge industries, e.g., Power Generation and Chemical.
- Develop and lead instrumentation and control systems research at FM Global.
- Identify technology trends and develop innovative solutions for FM Global clients to address the control systems related risks / exposures.
- Develop/update FM Global’s engineering guidance to achieve safe and secure design and operation of control systems.
- Support research and engineering in the areas of ICS cyber security, IT/OT integration, and IIOT and digitization.
- Interface with engineering at FM Global and at FM Global client locations, as needed.
- A Masters or PhD degree with a minimum of 5 years’ hands-on experience in instrumentation and control systems design, implementation or usage
- Record of relatable ICS Cyber security research highly preferred
- A degree in electrical engineering computer science or a related area is preferred, but not required
- There is potential to be considered for a Sr. Research Engineer role based on advanced qualifications and/or experience
Desired Skills and Competency Areas:
- Security evaluation of ICS including safety systems.
- Experience with design of instrumentation and control systems in the Power Generation or Chemical Industry.
- Familiarity with current security standards for ICSs, such as ISA/IEC 62443, NIST 800-82 guidance on ICS security.
- Certifications such as GIAC (GICSP), ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity certificates, Certified SCADA Security Architect (CSSA).
- Ability to communicate with all layers in the organization.
- Willingness to coach and mentor other team members.
- Ability to self-start and multi-task and work within a high-performance team.
The hiring range for a Sr. Research Engineer is dependent on final grade and title and is $110,9000 to $159,400 USD. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with FM Global in the U.S. and a condition of FM Global office entry in Canada. Further, all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing onsite for open positions, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center