Technical Information Center InternApply Now Job ID 2019-8477 Date posted 03/08/2019
Overview - External
As a Technical Information Center/Library Information Studies Intern you will experience working in a corporate library setting and will be assisting the Technical Information Center (TIC) manager in inventorying and processing a variety of TIC material, including internal company publications, reports, serial holdings, historical materials and more. The focus of the collection is primarily engineering and research. The TIC also includes the FM Global Historical Collection, dating back to 1835 and the founding of the company. You may experience working with the collection, possibly including photographing and researching artifacts.
FM Global, with its 180-year history, is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Location: Norwood, MA.
20 hours per week – flexible. Total of 200 hours
- Locating and organizing collections of publications
- Scanning items to add to digital collections
- Creating and/or editing catalog records
- Foldering and boxing items for storage
- Assisting with daily tasks such as shelving
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Currently enrolled in Master’s in Library and Information Services/Studies or related field is required
- Detail oriented
- Electronic cataloging skills
- Good communication skills
- Strong desire to learn about features and functions of corporate libraries
- Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 35 pounds, bend and climb
Training & Benefits
At FM Global, we strive to build ongoing partnerships with our clients, and key to accomplishing this is developing long-lasting relationships with our employees. For that reason, our benefits programs are designed to be attractive to employees throughout the various stages of their lives—and careers.
We call it TOTAL REWARDS.
Though specific policies and programs may vary by location, they are all designed to provide stability and security for you and your family. Now and in the future.
To support what matters to you, our Total Rewards benefits include:
- Extensive training and professional development
- Inclusive culture that seeks out and respects diversity
- Healthy work/life balance through employee-focused policies, such as healthcare, fitness reimbursement and paid time off
- Company-provided car (for field engineers)
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive base pay, an employee incentive plan, retirement benefits and programs
- Corporate citizenship programs and sustainability initiatives, including the Matching Gift and United Way campaign programs. Whether we're protecting the environment or giving back to the community, we are committed to doing business with honesty, integrity and transparency
The best way to learn more about what makes field engineering at FM Global so unique is to engage us in conversation. And visiting us at one of our events gives you the opportunity to ask questions in person and find out firsthand what makes our programs, our philosophy and our business so admired.