Consultant Engineer Opportunity for New or Recent College Graduate
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
Overview - External
Please note: We are always interested in connecting with engineering professionals. By submitting your application to this opportunity, you are expressing interest in a Consultant Engineer job in the market this location supports should an opening become available. This posting is not an indication that there are job openings currently available in this location.
This operation center handles inquiries for opportunities in:
Belgium, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Malta, French-speaking North Africa, Portugal, Spain and French-speaking Switzerland. It also handles inquiries in French-speaking West Africa, including Benin, Burkina, Centrafrique, Chad, Congo, Gabon, Madagascar, Mali, Togo, Italy and Turkey.
Come join a global team dedicated to supplying state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research to more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000 companies all over the globe. We rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles to accomplish our objectives.
At FM Global you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future of your clients, the company and your own. When you join our team as a Consultant Engineer, you have the ability to leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disaster—saving property, businesses and lives.
With the company’s nearly two centuries of knowledge and experience behind you, you’ll work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets. You will also have the resources to build a rewarding career at FM Global including 12 months of classroom and field-based training as a foundation.
What makes FM Global unique is our culture of camaraderie with colleagues and clients, the challenging work and the excitement of being part of a successful organization. We believe in a supportive work/life environment and encourage our employees to participate in our total rewards benefit program including pension and a company car provided to all of our Consultant Engineers.
If you enjoy variety, put your time-management and organizational skills to use handling field visits, office work, and projects for large commercial occupancies and hazards. You will work with minimal supervision and must be capable of working independently.
Initially, assignments will be of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger complex commercial properties by visiting client facilities and performing evaluations that accurately quantify foreseeable physical and human element exposures while working with client on-site risk management. Responsibilities will include:
- Perform hands-on site assessments of the physical property, including roofs
- Conduct evaluations which include, but are not limited to, site water supplies, dust hazards, chemical storage, and rack storage arrangements for client products
- Ensure that FM Global Engineering Standards are followed and, as necessary communicate the appropriate recommendations and/or engineering solutions to clients
- Working from a home office and travel to clients' facilities daily (overnight travel is expected approximately 30% of the time). Travel to Natural Catastrophe sites will be required as needed.
Successful Consultant Engineer candidates have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering (various specialties considered)
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and heights
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Authorization to work in the country you are applying to work in
You will be expected to work independently and should be willing to operate from your home office.