Boiler and Machinery Sr. Consultant Engineer
Park Ridge, Illinois
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Do you know how a power plant operates or why a transformer has a malfunction? Can you explain high cycle fatigue, flow associated corrosion? Have you ever seen a turbo generator break down, a lube oil fire or witness a steam turbine fail? Would you like to?
FM Global is currently expanding its Boiler & Machinery Consultant Engineering team around the world. If you’re interested in taking your career to the next level check out our newest Boiler & Machinery Consultant Engineer openings!
At FM Global, you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future – yours and your clients. When you join our team as a Boiler & Machinery Consultant Engineer, you can leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disasters—saving property and businesses.
With the company’s nearly two centuries of knowledge and experience behind you, you’ll work hands on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets.
Boiler & Machinery Consultant Engineers will interact with high hazard FM Global clients within the PowerGen, Forest Products-Pulp & Paper, Molten Materials, Chemical and similar industries. Experienced engineers will use their expertise to consult with clients to protect their facilities against mechanical and electrical breakdowns, fire and many other hazards. As a Boiler and Machinery Consultant Engineer, you will develop strong client relationships to advise on risks associated with client businesses as well as develop and implement risk improvement strategies.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Evaluate the integrity and reliability of equipment, identify hazards and deficiencies to deliver focused risk improvement solutions and reduce equipment risk
- Utilize Operating standards, data sheets and guides to provide risk guidance and implement best practices
- Prepare engineering reports, loss expectancies to support risk improvement
- Collaborate with Operations Engineering, Client Services, Account Management and Underwriting on Boiler & Machinery recommendations
- Engineers will work from a home office, must be able to manage their time and work independently with minimal supervision
- This is a field-based role in the Chicago area, it also covers parts of Northwest Indiana and the southern part of Wisconsin and requires travel to large, complex industrial client sites to evaluate the operations and systems of the site and identify risks and hazards. Expected overnight travel is 10%-30%
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience with a concentration in either electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a high hazard industry such as power generation, chemical, nuclear, mining, pulp & paper, manufacturing or maritime combined with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, a minimum of 10 years relatable experience without a Bachelor’s Degree required
- Must possess knowledge of electrical and/ or mechanical power generation and associated equipment and systems such as rotating equipment, boilers, generators, system interrelationships and knowledge of safety devices. Industrial Control Systems experience highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience to understand basic machinery and equipment along with hands on exposure
- Candidates will possess strong verbal and written communication skills, proficiency in MS Office products is required
- Candidates must be analytical, organized and have good problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A valid driver’s license is required, a company car is provided
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds or 11.34 Kilograms
- Able to climb ladders