Consultant EngineerUniversity, Engineering - Other Job ID 2022-12333 Primary Location: Park Ridge, Illinois 09/10/2022
Overview - External
FM Global is one of the world’s largest risk management and industrial property insurance organizations. With over 50 office locations worldwide, FM Global provides specialized property protection to over one third of the FORTUNE 1000 companies as well as leading international corporations.
A new Consultant Engineer at FM Global will learn to engineer risk management solutions from experienced mentors and a community-based work culture for the first 12-18 months. The network of 1,900 loss prevention engineers, with backgrounds in physical engineering and fire protection, provide their clients with the benefit of FM Global’s superior financial strength, policy coverage, and research-based consulting.
At FM Global you have the power to influence outcomes and make a difference in the future of your clients. When you join our team at FM Global, you can leverage your engineering background to help clients neutralize potential disaster such as fires, explosions, earthquakes, floods, and many others.
What makes FM Global unique is our culture of camaraderie with colleagues and clients, the challenging work and the excitement of being part of a successful organization. We believe in a supportive work/life environment and encourage our employees to participate in our total rewards benefit program, including a pension program.
If you enjoy variety, put your time-management and organizational skills to use handling field visits, office work, and projects for large commercial and industrial occupancies and hazards. You will work with minimal supervision and must be capable of working independently.
The Chicago Operations territory includes Indiana, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We are currently seeking Consultant Engineers to live in the greater Chicago area.
Initially, assignments will be of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. You will gradually begin assessing risks at larger, more complex properties by visiting client facilities and performing evaluations that accurately quantify foreseeable physical and human element exposures while working with client on-site risk management. Responsibilities will include:
- Perform hands-on site assessments of the physical property, including roofs
- Conduct evaluations which include, but are not limited to, site water supplies, dust hazards, chemical storage, and rack storage arrangements for client products
- Ensure that FM Global Engineering Standards are followed and, as necessary communicate the appropriate recommendations and/or engineering solutions to clients
- Working from a home office and travel to clients' facilities daily (overnight travel is expected approximately 20% of the time). Travel to Natural Catastrophe sites will be required as needed.
Successful Consultant Engineer candidates have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering (various specialties considered)
- 3-5 years of engineering experience is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management ability with minimal supervision
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles
- Valid driver’s license
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and heights
- Proficient in MS Office products
- Authorization to work in the country you are applying to work in
You will be expected to work independently and should be willing to operate from your home office.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center