Jurisdictional Consultant-Boiler Inspector
Park Ridge, Illinois
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Consultant Engineer at FM Global?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Technical Knowledge
- Communicates Effectively
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
I PLAY A PART IN BUILDING A BRIGHT FUTURE THAT CAN WEATHER ANY STORM.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.Gabriel — Engineering Specialist — Employee Since 2007
More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
This jurisdictional position is primarily responsible for conducting in-service jurisdictional inspections of boilers and pressure vessels located in the eastern Wisconsin/Upper Peninsula in Michigan.
Candidates will be considered for Jurisdictional Consultant I, II or Specialist levels based on experience.
The Boiler Inspector (Jurisdictional Consultant) learns and develops the skills required to manage, inspect, evaluate, and confer with Clients. These inspections are conducted within the requirements of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, the Rules of the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors, and The National Board Inspection Code, Jurisdictional Laws and Regulations. Also, FM Global programs, procedures, and instructions. The inspector will be supervised by the Operations Chief Inspector.
The inspector will receive the necessary FM Global procedural and field training to be competent. In addition, this position performs inspections of varying scope at locations and occupancies to eliminate or mitigate hazards.
Overnight travel requirement is approximately 30%.
- Education: Depending on an individual's experience and other factors, the inspector will have a BS in Engineering, an associate degree from a 2-year technical school, or a high school diploma (or equivalent).
- Desired: An individual that possesses National Board and state certifications and be qualified to review repairs in accordance with the NBIC and FMIC requirements!
- Required: The position requires the individual to meet National Board In-Service commission qualification requirements Rules for Commissioned Inspectors (RCI-1 NB-263). Acquire a passing score on the National Board Exam and meet State requirements. The individual must acquire a National Board Commission and certification from at least one Jurisdiction within 12 months of entering this position.
- Experience: The crucial experience for this position is that required by the current National Board Rules for Commissioned Inspectors to acquire the initial National Board Commission. Experience in boiler and pressure vessel construction and inspection, mechanical and electrical equipment, understanding of control systems and a strong understanding of nondestructive methods and results are vital.
- Skills/Knowledge: Candidate will possess strong overall technical knowledge in the boiler and pressure vessel construction and inspection, effective communication and listening skills, efficient time management and organization, problem solving skills, basic computer application skills, ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.