Jurisdictional Consultant II
Park Ridge, Illinois
At FM Global, we work with many of the world’s largest organizations to help protect their commercial and industrial property against threats. Our field engineers specialize in a wide range of disciplines, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and industrial engineering, as well as fire protection.
What makes a successful Engineer at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Focus
- Decisiveness & Judgment
- Flexibility & Achieving Change
- Gets Results
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
Sr. Consultant engineer
employee since 2007
I play a part in building a bright future that can weather any storm.
Many times, the safety of entire communities is influenced by our work. On one project in Florida, I worked with a client to make sure a critical 911 communications facility would be operable during and after a Category 5 hurricane. Advising them on things like how to protect vital generator systems and helping them make costeffective design decisions, I had a hand in building something truly substantial. In the end, our client was happy to have a partner that understood and worked with them to meet their unique needs.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Depending on your role, we offer a company vehicle to suit your traveling needs.
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
Overview - External:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.This position reports to the Chicago Operations and services Indiana, Illinois, southern Wisconsin. The successful candidate will be centrally located within those territories.
Responsibilities - External:
This position is responsible for conducting inspections of boilers and pressure vessel to verify if unit integrity is safe for continued use and operation. Inspections involve both internal and external inspection of boilers and pressure vessel. Many inspections involve physically entering these confined spaces and accessing elevated areas on inspected equipment. Such inspections are performed to comply with the jurisdictional rules and regulations of the state and/or city where the object is utilized, compliance with the National Board Inspection Code, the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, and FM Global procedures and standards, as well as following OSHA regulations.
Qualifications - External:
Education: The consultant will preferably have a BS degree in Engineering. However, depending on the level of experience and other factors, consideration will be given to an Associate's Degree from a 2-year technical school, or a high school diploma.
It is preferred that the individual poses a National Board (NB) In-service Commission, or has passed the National Board’s examination for obtaining the NB “IS” commission within the last two years. Additional NB commissions or endorsements, and certificates of competency in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan are a plus. However, an individual not having NB In-service credentials will be considered depending on the level of experience involving the operation, maintenance and care of boilers.
A valid driver’s license is an absolute necessity.
- Work Environment – Field Work, Confined Spaces, Dirty/Dusty/Noisy environments, wet/damp/hot/dark/congested work areas, near energized equipment, commuting to client locations.
- Physical Activity – Frequent repetitive movement of arms, hands and wrists; constant hearing, speaking; constant seeing. Climbing ladders and stairways, entering manholes for internal inspection of jurisdictional objects. Ability to travel by public transportation and automobile.
- Physical Effort (General) - Medium
- Physical Effort (Specific) – Occasional kneeling, crouching, crawling, sitting, lifting >25lbs, carrying, pushing, pulling, turning, bending, balancing, reaching, handling; frequent climbing, standing, walking stooping and lifting, capable of entering small confined spaces.
The essential experience for this position is that required by the current National Board rules for commissioned inspectors in order to obtain the in-service NB commission. Experience in general boiler and pressure vessel construction and inspection, mechanical and electrical equipment, understanding of management systems and good understanding of NDE methods and results are necessary. Experience with Praeses - Jurisdiction Online is a plus.
- Develop a technical understanding and applicability of FM Global Operating Standards O.S. 6-0, 6-4, 6-12, 6-18, 6-22, and 6-25, as well as 12-0 and 12-43.
- Produce acceptable field trailing results to demonstrate competency over the course of a minimum of 800 hours by both trailing and being trailed. Documentation to be in accordance with NB 380 Section 3.1 to 3.4 (LAG I)
- As skills and competencies are developed and proven, take on low risk field assignments without the direct trail of the Operations Chief Inspector or Mentor(s).
- Good communication: oral, written, and listening
- Good time management and organization
- Good technical knowledge / education
- Good problem solving
- Basic computer applications
Ability to work independently as well as part of a team