Senior Cargo Production Underwriter
Parsippany, New Jersey
You’ll quickly learn that we’re not like other property insurance companies. We’re guided by the belief that most losses can be prevented. So we do everything we can to understand your business needs and reduce your risk.
What makes a successful Candidate at FM Global? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Client/Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Ensures Accountability
- Change Agent
- Communicates Effectively
Hear what our employees have to say about working at FM Global
employee since 2008
WHEN YOU'RE INVESTED IN SOLVING CHALLENGES, IT HELPS TO BE WITH A COMPANY THAT INVESTS IN YOUR SUCCESS.
My parents have always instilled in me the concept of working hard, having fun, thinking long term and planning for the future. FM Global is exciting, innovative and dynamic, and with so many professional opportunities here, it's also a company where you can spend your whole career and never get bored. I remember back during one of my initial interviews with FM Global, a manager shared that over 80% of the office staff had been with the company since they graduated college. That kind of longevity is one of the reasons I decided to work at FM Global. I'm proud to work for a company that invests in its employees and trains them to be the best. The willingness to learn is universal, the exposure to knowledge is infinite and the different career paths are endless. The opportunities to think long term don't get much broader.
See how FM Global and East Kentucky Power Cooperative partner to manage boiler and machinery risk.
FM Global Named One of America’s Best Employers by Forbes
Your financial goals are important to us, so we offer retirement programs that reflect local policy and custom.
Your time at FM Global should be valuable and enriching, with plenty of opportunities for skills development and career growth.
Eligible employees participate in an incentive plan based on the company achieving its annual financial goals.
More information about this job:
Overview - External:
This position is accountable for maintaining and developing a profitable portfolio of Cargo business in an assigned region, consistent with Corporate/FM Global Cargo policies, business strategies, underwriting guidelines and objectives.
The position is responsible for prospecting and underwriting of new cargo business and underwriting/servicing of existing accounts including large complex and global risks to an assigned underwriting authority and the development and implementation of business strategies designed to achieve defined business objectives for the specified region. This is accomplished by serving as the key/primary interface in all aspects of the cargo account including insurance products and services, cargo risk engineering and claims services working both directly with clients and through a network of producers with whom long term relationships are developed and maintained.
The highly specialized nature of cargo insurance requires the position to have expert knowledge of international trade and associated terminology, world geography, multimodal transportation, logistics, the international business environment, cargo insurance market practice, law and regulation. A Senior Cargo Production Underwriter must expertly analyze risk information to provide cargo insurance and risk engineering programs tailored specifically to each client’s needs.
As the highest level within cargo production underwriting discipline, a Senior Cargo Production Underwriter will serve as the Cargo Account Team Leader and will demonstrate consistent team leadership through excellent judgment and decision-making skills, business initiative and expert knowledge of the maritime environment, global transportation and the marine insurance industry with demonstrated superior performance working independently in all areas of accountability. The position serves as a leader and mentor providing informal guidance and direction to other Production Underwriters, Account Coordinators, Risk Engineers and other client servicing team members.
Responsibilities - External:
- (20%) Expertly promote and market FM Global Cargo capabilities, products and risk engineering services on a direct and brokered basis in an assigned region to ensure a steady stream of desirable new business.
- (25%) Actively develop and grow a profitable portfolio of large/complex cargo business in an assigned region. This will entail the skilled application of sound underwriting principles, superior technical proficiency, and extensive knowledge of international trade, logistics and the creative use of underwriting and risk engineering resources to effectively analyze and select risk.
- (25%) Successfully retain an existing book of large/complex business through an expert understanding of risk and Clients’ exposures and our ability to deliver innovative underwriting and cargo loss control / risk engineering solutions that add value to our Client’s business.
- (25%) Provide superior and responsive service both directly to our clients and to our brokers that clearly leverages our strengths as a competitive differential in the specialized marine cargo marketplace.
- (5%) Represent FM Global Cargo in the marketplace as an “insurer of choice” by consistently acting as an experienced, professional, cargo insurance expert with extensive knowledge of international trade, logistics, legal, economic and political environment.
Qualifications - External:
Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent; Maritime Academy graduate, MBA or AIMA and/or CPCU desirable.
Experience: 8+ years FM Global Cargo production underwriting and/or risk engineering experience or 10 years marine cargo industry experience (insurance company/broker).
Skills/Knowledge: Expert knowledge of all aspects of this highly specialized line of business, including as advanced understanding of risk identification and assessment, marine cargo insurance coverage, forms, underwriting techniques, international trade including OFAC restrictions and admitted local policy requirements, maritime law, world geography, logistics together with company standards and procedures, financial statements and business computer applications. Excellent skills are needed in sales/negotiation/presentation, oral and written communication, planning and organizing, analysis, judgment, decision-making, problem solving, interpersonal relations, and team leadership. The incumbent must have a demonstrated track record in establishing and maintaining strategic relationships directly with Clients as well as with a strong network of supportive marine producers and industry contacts, and effective cross selling, new business development and renewal retention.