Consultant EngineerApply Now Job ID 2019-8541 Date posted 04/04/2019
Overview - External
FM Global works to protect assets and minimize the potential for losses for our clients worldwide through a unique combination of engineering, underwriting and claims. We conduct hands-on research and deploy on-the-ground engineers to ensure our products and services remain the best available and directly support risk management processes and objectives.
As such, FM Global is a leading commercial and industrial property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. For 175 years, clients have worked with FM Global to develop robust property insurance and engineering solutions to protect their business operations from fire, natural disasters and other types of property risk. We employ more than 5,100 employees worldwide, including 1,700 loss prevention engineers.
For additional information on our organization and about what benefit this job opportunity could bring to you please visit our website and career center at: www.fmglobal.com
FM Global is looking for an engineer to work as a resident Field Consultant Engineer in Monterrey, N.L. This is an opportunity for an engineer who wants to work as an onsite field engineer, putting to use engineering knowledge gained in high level universities and the loss prevention and control expertise gained through FM Global's world class loss prevention training program.
The Field Consultant Engineer will be out in the field dealing with real people and real situations. You may find yourself evaluating a structure to ensure that it can withstanding hurricane force winds, or you may work to assess systems that will need to survive the world's worst earthquakes, floods or any other natural hazards as well as fire or machinery breakdown. It is a hands-on job requiring high energy, self-motivation and creativity.
Your experience and career development at FM Global starts with extensive training in loss-prevention engineering involving pre-self-study material, comprehensive classroom in the United States and on-the-job mentoring from some of the most talented and respected engineers in the world. The career path starts with Consultant Engineer I and can grow up to managerial position or industry specialization like Chemical, Flood, Pulp & Paper or Machinery Breakdown specialists. Continue learning process never ends in this career development.
In addition to the field role there are opportunities to perform as a Project Consultant, which is an office-based role. The Consultant will receive training for project management and plan review work, which may include Field Engineer training material and trailing activities. This work is typically conducted under close supervision. The Consultant will initially spend some time completing self-study material and trailing other engineers in the field.
Office work will consist of routine plan review including complex project reviews, mainly related to fire protection system and basic construction drawings. The Consultant will conduct review of basic plans based on FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets, identifying all deficiencies and reasonably foreseeable physical and human element exposures for facility hazards perils. The Consultant must understand the scope of the project under review, beyond the plans submitted, if needed, in order to identify other review opportunities not initially presented by the client.
All FM Global training material including classroom is in English. Most of our clients receive their loss prevention reports in English therefore, successful candidate must be fluent in English and in Spanish. Proficiency test is applied.
- Bachelor’s degree in a primary engineering discipline: Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical (preferred);
- At least 2-years of experience in related industries and/or field engineering preferred;
- Self-directed planning and organizational skills;
- Self-learning and results-driven;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must
- Availability for traveling, national and international
- Willingness for overnight up to 50% of the time during the first year in training; after training up to 30% of the time;
Training & Benefits
At FM Global, we strive to build ongoing partnerships with our clients, and key to accomplishing this is developing long-lasting relationships with our employees. For that reason, our benefits programs are designed to be attractive to employees throughout the various stages of their lives—and careers.
We call it TOTAL REWARDS.
Though specific policies and programs may vary by location, they are all designed to provide stability and security for you and your family. Now and in the future.
To support what matters to you, our Total Rewards benefits include:
- Extensive training and professional development
- Inclusive culture that seeks out and respects diversity
- Healthy work/life balance through employee-focused policies, such as healthcare, fitness reimbursement and paid time off
- Company-provided car (for field engineers)
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive base pay, an employee incentive plan, retirement benefits and programs
- Corporate citizenship programs and sustainability initiatives, including the Matching Gift and United Way campaign programs. Whether we're protecting the environment or giving back to the community, we are committed to doing business with honesty, integrity and transparency
The best way to learn more about what makes field engineering at FM Global so unique is to engage us in conversation. And visiting us at one of our events gives you the opportunity to ask questions in person and find out firsthand what makes our programs, our philosophy and our business so admired.