Senior Research ScientistResearch - Research Scientist, Research Job ID 2022-11741 Primary Location: Singapore, Singapore 09/23/2022
More information about this job:
With climate change being the grand challenge of the next decades, the ability to provide actionable climate science and climate change-aware loss prevention solutions to businesses is increasingly important to FM Global and its mutual owner clients.
The Scientist will be responsible for planning and conducting research related to pluvial and fluvial flooding, with a focus on hydraulic modeling, and to the impact of climate change. The person filling this position will be based at our Singapore Centre, the headquarters for the company operations in Asia.
Work will include:
Conceptualizing and developing end-to-end modeling solutions at local to global scales, integrated with FM Global’s riverine and coastal flood models and maps.
Preparing reports and presentations describing study results, and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
Developing plans for strategic research that will lead to significant, measurable improvements in the ability to estimate future property losses.
This position requires:
- A PhD degree with a background in hydraulics and hydrodynamics, and a solid research record in the development and application of 1D and 2D hydraulic models.
- Knowledge of climate change and its uncertainties, and the impact on natural hazards.
- Demonstrated modeling experience and broad understanding of modeling principles including model setup, calibration, and validation.
- Experience with collecting, processing, and analyzing data.
- Solid background in probability and statistics.
- Strong knowledge of numerical methods.
- Experience in writing shell scripts for process automation, and excellent programming skills in programming languages including Fortran, R, MATLAB and Python.
- Experience with High Performance Computing on Linux/Unix clusters and cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Skills with GIS software and tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills, presentation skills, and demonstrated effectiveness communicating highly technical and scientific insights.
Demonstrated experience in analyzing output from global climate model ensembles and combining large atmospheric datasets in various formats is highly desirable for this position!
Applicants must have demonstrated project management abilities.
The job title may be adjusted depending on qualifications and experience.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.
BEING FM Global
Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
We’re creating a company-wide culture that recognizes how essential this work is to our overall success.
Learn More about Diversity and Inclusion
FM Global Learning
We’re building technical skills and leadership capabilities across the enterprise, with new solutions for learning.
Learn More about FM Global's Learning Center